Brewers Friend Question..Boil Amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
Target Batch size is 5 gallons and as Staring Boil Volume I put 4 gallons as I am going to boil 4 gallons with my extract. Everything is showing correct in water calculation except Boil Water added to kettle is 3.44. Why is this not 4 like starting boil volume?

Target Batch size is 5 gallons and as Staring Boil Volume I put 4 gallons as I am going to boil 4 gallons with my extract. Everything is showing correct in water calculation except Boil Water added to kettle is 3.44. Why is this not 4 like starting boil volume?

Is it expecting the extract to make up .5 gallons?

For an example I just made a recipe using 8 lbs of extract, 5 gallon batch size, and a 4 gallon boil. When you click "Brew It", then click "Water Requirements", there's a table that lists the following: Target batch size: 5 gallons; Boil water added to kettle: 3.32 gallons; Volume increase from sugar/extracts (early additions): .68 gallons; Starting boil volume 4 gallons.

So yes, the extract counts towards the boil volume.

Edit: I just remembered, you don't have to click "Brew it" for that, you can click Edit/Recipe tools/Quick Water Requirements.

For an example I just made a recipe using 8 lbs of extract, 5 gallon batch size, and a 4 gallon boil. When you click "Brew It", then click "Water Requirements", there's a table that lists the following: Target batch size: 5 gallons; Boil water added to kettle: 3.32 gallons; Volume increase from sugar/extracts (early additions): .68 gallons; Starting boil volume 4 gallons.

So yes, the extract counts towards the boil volume.

Edit: I just remembered, you don't have to click "Brew it" for that, you can click Edit/Recipe tools/Quick Water Requirements.

Thanks,

I guess the issue is I don't want to have to measure that precisely, I want to be able to dump in 4 gallons of bottled spring water not measure out 3.6 etc. and to set boil water added to kettle, not boil volume.

Is there a way to set this, because until I look at that page I don't know how much volume my extract takes up?

Eyeball it. You're going to be topping off your fermenter to 5 gallons anyway, you don't have to be precise.

Idk if you do this already, but I use a metal ruler to measure the amount of liquid in my 5 gallon pot. It's 2" per gallon in my case.

Back