Breweries / Brewpubs / Beer Bars in the Minneapolis area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CaptYesterday

Reaction score
So I'm going to Minneapolis for a month for work. Where do I have to go while I'm in town? I've heard of Surly, but that's about it.

broseph

Reaction score
the summit brewery in st paul, buster's on 28th (awesome pub), the happy gnome, townhall brew pub, harriet brewing company.

IceFisherChris

Reaction score
The Town Hall is a great place. Definitely a great atmosphere. Herkimer isn't too bad either. It's German themed and the beer is good.
I've never been to Summit but their beer is great.

Jawbox0

Reaction score
I've always liked lunches at Barley John's (Roseville) as well. You should also make pilgrimages to both Northern Brewer and Midwest supplies.

Also, if they're not distributed in Cleveland, Schell's makes some great German style lagers.

Oh yes, if you want to do the Surley tour, take a look at their tour FAQ. You need to register in advance as they fill up quickly. They open registration 3 weeks in advance of the tour.

TheBrewinator

Reaction score
I know its a chain but I'm quite partial to Rock Bottom, food is great and Bryon makes some darn good beer.

cricky101

Reaction score
I'm in St. Paul, but if looking for a beer bar, it's worth the trek to check out The Happy Gnome and The Muddy Pig. Both have great beer selections and they aren't too far from eachother.

Here's the tap beer menu and the bottled beer menu for The Happy Gnome.

Here's the tap menu and the bottled beer menu for The Muddy Pig.

Depending on your mood, the Muddy Pig is much more laid back, but both are great for beer.

moosetav

Reaction score
I really like gasthov's (sp?). It's a nice german restaurant upstairs and a fun bar downstairs. I think it was on man vs. food.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For a decent tap choice and pretty good bar food, I like Herb & Stubb's.

I really like Surly's Tap Room, Town Hall, Rock Bottom, Muddy Pig, and Happy Gnome. Good food at Happy Gnome, too!

Maybe send SeeBeeJohn a message, and ask him for more suggestions. He is my "go to" expert on the Twin Cities!

OP
C

CaptYesterday

Reaction score
Cool! thanks for all the suggestions. Should be enough to keep me busy when I'm up there. Hopefully I'm on a tour at Surly in 6 days.