Brewed the coveted less than $25 batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
792DDE92-2714-4440-B6FC-203C866159C9.jpeg

Ingredients list:

10# Avangard pilsen malt @ $1.25/ pound = $12.50 spent (from LHBS)

1 pack 34/70 @ $6.75/pack = $6.75 spent (from LHBS)

2mL CO2 hop extract @ 2.99/3mL = $2 Spent (yakima valley hops)

2oz YVH Hallertauer Tradition @ $2/ 2oz pack = $2 spent (yakima valley hops)

TOTAL = $23.25 spent on beer ingredients (plus of course the minor costs associated with; tap water, yeast nutrient, rice hulls, 1 whirlfloc tablet, 1/4 campden tablet, ?KWH of electricity and CO2 for kegging)

I did not think it was possible given inflation these days to brew a proper batch of beer, without a lot of dextrose, for less than $25 bucks (raw ingredients) but somehow found a way.

I did a decoction and a whirlpool hop addition to boot, on my batch of “Hutch Lite”

I ended up diluting it further (higher efficiency than expected, I planned for 60% BHE) down to 4.3% expected ABV (5.5gal after dilution, in the fermenter at ~1.044 SG- provided my math was correct)

I’m going to let this special batch lager until April or May. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Prost!

Last edited:
I suppose it’s tough when buying each of the ingredients for a single batch. It can be done quite easily though by reusing yeast and buying grains and hops in bulk. If you want to go even cheaper, look into that.

I just got my hops bulk for the first time! Cost me about half. I probably should try reusing yeast too. I’m just too worried about accidentally making malt vinegar or ending up with a dumper.
But good point about making it even cheaper! About every batch I’ve made before has cost me ~$40 +/- I was excited when I tallied the price up

+1 on the yeast washing and reusing. You can even 'top-crop' yeast while a batch is at high krausen. Just use a sanitized spoon to scoop the krausen into a sanitized jar and you're all set to use it as a starter to prop up another pitch.

I have an english pale mild/pub ale kinda beer that only has just over 5 lbs of grain in it and about an ounce or so of hops. I used s04 in it as well which is only around $4 a pitch. It's a super cheap beer to make and it's very tasty. Gotta love the cheap recipes that taste good.

Back