Brewed a BarleyWine Yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat in WV

Reaction score
I brewed a SN Big Foot Clone yesterday, with a SG of 1.094 (sheet said should have been 1.097)...I must have added just a touch more water.

I know that it will take months, even a year or more, to reach it's potential, but am wondering if the primary and secondary fermentation schedule should be altered as well.

Would leaving it in primary for 2 weeks be beneficial? My secondary is a bucket, not a carboy....so could I leave it in secondary for a month?

The recipe I did called for a month in the primary and 8 weeks in the secondary with a champagne yeast addition. I think I ended up letting it sit in the secondary for 6 weeks and moved it to a keg for another month before drinking.

It turned out great - having some for the Super Bowl today actually!

This kit, from AHB, simply says 5-7 in both primary and secondary...and there is a second yeast introduction, and dry hopping.

I have just read about much longer fermentation times in both primary and secondary....and wanted to get some opinions.

I am leaning towards at least 12 days in primary, and at least two weeks in secondary...longer if I can get some reassurances that it would be ok to do so using a bucket vs. a carboy.

Thanks.

You're fine for a good month in the primary if it's a bucket without aany problems. For a secondary, you really want a carboy.

Thanks for the help and information. Guess I will be ordering a carboy or two! ;)

SWMBO pleased...:mad:

You dont want to let beera age in plastic because plastic is oxygen permiable. So if you let the beer sit for several months you can get oxidize off flavors.

Plastic is fine if your secondary is less than a month, but if you go longer I would use glass or stainless.

dannypo said:
You dont want to let beera age in plastic because plastic is oxygen permiable. So if you let the beer sit for several months you can get oxidize off flavors.

Plastic is fine if your secondary is less than a month, but if you go longer I would use glass or stainless.

Less than a month total, primary and secondary? Or could I get away with leaving in primary for 12-14 days and then secondary up to a month?

Appreciate the input. Thanks.

Back