Brew sucks. Sooo sad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dweb911

Reaction score
So my 8th home brew and 2nd all grain ipa tastes like plastic. Its also my first legged brew and it is just horrible. I a, so sad an morning the loss. It was a British ipa with 1.5 # of car a munich 9 lbs of cyrstal 20@L 4 oz of hops. Just horrible. Wondering if it was the 2 week fermentation to keg or I'f it was the brewing itself. The og and fg were right on.

Oh well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ill go have a Hopslam limited release. :mug. ;)

Dweb911 said:
So my 8th home brew and 2nd all grain ipa tastes like plastic. Its also my first legged brew and it is just horrible. I a, so sad an morning the loss. It was a British ipa with 1.5 # of car a munich 9 lbs of cyrstal 20@L 4 oz of hops. Just horrible. Wondering if it was the 2 week fermentation to keg or I'f it was the brewing itself. The og and fg were right on.

Oh well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ill go have a Hopslam limited release. :mug. ;)

Legged = kegged

Shouldn't be any issues with a two-week fermentation (I usually ferment a hell of a lot longer than that). "Plastic" makes me think you might have picked up an infection, though.

I'm confused by your grain bill, though - what was the 9# of? Not 9# of crystal 20°?

Sorry miss typed. 9# crystal 20L 1.5# caramunich. Tastes super sweet no hop taste at all. Watery and sad tasting.

If you used 9 lbs of crystal I can see why it wouldn't have turned out good.

I made an American Amber with 9 lbs 2 row, 2 lbs of crystal 60, and 1 lbs special roast and it came out a little rich for my taste.
My plans are to cut the crystal back to 1 1/2 lbs for the next batch.
The beer tastes very good, the special roast adds an interesting flavor, but just a tad cloying with 2 lbs of crystal 60.

I can't answer on the plastic taste, but 9# of crystal 20 is waaaaay too much. I would expect the beer finished with a pretty high gravity and is overly sweet with that much crystal. You should try to keep the crystal under 10% of your grain bill, and many keep it lower than that. You should have had 9 lbs of a base grain in there like 2 row or better yet marris otter as it is English for your backbone, and then maybe 1lb of cystal and caramunich to supplement.

Agreed. Newb mistake. Mixed crystal and 2 row in order. So say I switched that. You think may be drinkable. This obscure force keg thing is frustrating. Is there a right way????

im feeling bummed too ill have to drink a hopslam( got 2 left) ill have one. I tried my ipa which tasted better 2 weeks ago and is now tasting tart and bitter and my stout which tasted better before 3 weeks also now is tasting like watery grain tea with hops.Maybe my palate is all messed up but hmm i dont know what is going on.
I do see your mistake, you used crystal malt like a base malt.Crystal is for flavor color while 2 row is for a base mash for fermentables,crystal not much fermentable sugars.

Yeah. Oh well. You know syrup alcohol tastes ok after a few hop slams, a ballast point ipa, a lost abbey judgement day and venting here. :mug. I'm hoping my batch tomorrow will be better. Orange ipa. Looks amazing and got right grains this time. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in 4 weeks.

You could possibly blend that beer with a lighter style to make it more drinkable.
It would be convenient to blend them at the tap.

Back