Brew Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbird33

Reaction score
nbird33 said:
brewed a batch up sunday but for most of the boil i had a layer of crud on top mix of grain and hops. It settled once i started the ice bath, is that a bad thing? Also the yeast when i rehydrated had a rotten egg smell is that bad?
please help

Trub settling to the bottom is a good thing. & some yeasts do produce sulfur smells during fermentation. But they age out by the time it's ready to drink. So you should be fine.

1) There shouldn't be actual grain in the boil. If you are somehow getting actual grains in your boil, you need to be more careful.

2) I think you are describing hot break, which is basically all of the proteins in the wort coagulating due to the temperature of the boil. That's perfectly normal. Once you cool it down, there's what's then called cold break, where the same proteins start to settle out .

Good luck!

1) There shouldn't be actual grain in the boil. If you are somehow getting actual grains in your boil, you need to be more careful.
+1 to that as that will impart a lot of tannic flavours from the husks of the grain.

Kal

Don't think it was actual grain may have just been sentiment but worried me.

Probably Some of the finer grain stuff. Mt nylon grain bag is course mesh, & about a cup of grain stuff & hop debris gets through till I strain it into the FV.

Back