Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since many folks missed the Monday show, the NZ toilet flushes counter-clockwise (just like it does in the northern hemisphere). There...now you know.

I thought the widget they used for testing the bottle leakage was cool and thought the petri-dish thing was pretty cool. I can only imagine what one of those petri dishes would look like from my home.

Thought it strange they JUST RECENTLY got a decent can opener after all those batches of Punkin over the years. C'mon Sam, throw your brewers a bone.:D

I've watched all three episodes so far and enjoy the show. But I agree that it is pretty much an infomercial for DFH. I would enjoy the show better if Sam would take us to other breweries around the world and show the different ways beer is made and the local beer culture and not just his lame attempt at cloning it.

Sort of like going to Peru and watching old ladies spit corn into buckets and ferment it? And then putting out flowers when the drink is ready so the locals know?

just watched Chicha last night and my wife said "ewww" that bucket if filled with spit and corn... she also noticed how the authentic Chicha was not as translucent as the DFH chicha.

-=Jason=-

I'm kind of torn on the show. The first episode I found really interesting, the second one I found extremely dull and it seemed to me that they didn't have enough footage for a full 60 minutes. Which is probably the reason that I found it very slow compared to the first one. Like several others, I didn't realize that there was already a 3rd episode. The next episode looks like it is going to be a good one that every one on here can relate to and will appeal to a wide audience. We are all familiar with the ingredient he is using (cedar) and I'm sure we've all experienced a batch going poorly. Now we get to see how a company responds when 9,000 gallons of beer gets flagged by quality control. I think this episode is going to appeal to a lot of the people who have had dissenting opinions in this thread.

When I first heard of the show I was hoping for a new brewery each week. Then I realized that it was all Dogfish each episode. While I do agree with the show being a promotional thing for their brewery I can't hate on the guy. I mean, he stands for everything that us home brewers dream of. And even if you don't like some or any of his beers you have to appreciate what the guy is doing for the industry. He has become the rock star of the brewing world and it all started on a small system like many of us have. I find the episodes interesting enough and I'll keep watching them. Yeah, some stuff seems a little too scripted, and the high fives might be cheesy. But maybe, just maybe, thats how he really is. He seems to be a bit of a dork and thats something that I think we can all appreciate. Props to Sam and Dogfish for coming as far as they have and pushing the boundaries of the brewing world. He has carried over his practices from home brewing into a commercial venture and that is something that I can truly applaud.

I can understand your point about the 2nd episode seeming like they stretched half a shows worth of content into a full show. The 3rd episode was much better in that regard. It does help that there were 3 concurrent story lines (Pumpkin, Tamarillo Beer, Construction).

Also, to be honest, there were some fake drama parts in this episode, and I'm not talking about time-lines.

<Spoiler>

Oh No!!! I don't think they shipped our beer out in time because I can't find it even though we're not even done looking through all the delivery containers. Oh wait, there it is!

</Spoiler>

I found that more amusing than anything else, so it didn't really ruin my enjoyment of the show.

To me, the show has gotten a little better each time and I find myself really looking forward to the next one.

To me, the show has gotten a little better each time and I find myself really looking forward to the next one.

I must admit that I was a hater after the first episode (Sam came of SUPER *****y). For some reason my DVR skipped the Chicha episode and caught the 3rd one. I really enjoyed the Pumpkin & Portamarillo episode and then I caught the Chicha out of order. I was shocked at how LITTLE pumpkin they used.

Sam and his wife have GREAT kids; and watching them interact showed the "real" him IMO. Those interactions made me like him a lot more.

Did anyone else wonder where the 5-GALLON bucket of pumpkin was? You can buy bigger cans of pumpkin at Costco for crimminy's sake.
Makes even more sense (I've never even been inside one of those big discount places) BUT don't underestimate the difficulty of opening some of those 5 gal plastic buckets. Some of them are a real ***** (if you don't have the special tool, which no restaurant I worked in EVER had :mad:).

just watched Chicha last night and my wife said "ewww" that bucket if filled with spit and corn... she also noticed how the authentic Chicha was not as translucent as the DFH chicha.

-=Jason=-

I pointed out the same thing to SWMBO. It would seem that he is brewing out of the Chicha style. :)

I'm hoping that Discovery will run various brewers over the life of this show. DFH this season then move on to another next season. hence the name Brew Master(s)

How many episodes are scheduled for this season, 10?

Regarding the deadline thing: I have to agree with RIT_Warrior that none of it seemed out of the ordinary. You had four deadlines in the past 3 shows: Bitches Brew in connection with the anniversary, Chicha which was the only arbitrary deadline, Portamarillo in connection with the NZ beer festival, and Punkin. The Punkin was the only unspecified deadline, but they did mention that every single bottle of Punkin was already sold. So, companies have already laid out the money for the shipment. You have to get those companies their shipment in a timely manner. That's just good business. The other non-arbitrary deadlines ranged from 3-5 weeks. Sam can't just put off the beer indefinitely without pissing off his distributors or collaborators. To say, "Well it's his brewery he can do what he wants," is a bit short sighted. People would stop buying his beer or breweries would stop working with him.

So 1 out of 4 deadlines was actually made up. And, if I remember correctly, there wasn't much drama associated with that particular made up deadline. I think that was basically Sam just giving a deadline to motivate his employees. I have to do that at my job - unless I put an arbitrary deadline on some things everyone just procrastinates and does nothing. It's stupid, but there it is.

Now, they might start pulling the same crap they do with American Chopper and such, but I haven't seen it yet.

Completely agree witht he above post except that he did add some drama because they didn't chew all the corn they were "suppose" to in order to make it as authentic as possible. But he also could have put flyers up in the bar a month in advance of releasing and then had to meet that deadline. That would make sense too, so maybe none of the deadlines are made up!

I believe Sam is the same in person as he is on the show. I visited the brewery twice and the second time he was outside playing bocce with his employees, they were all drinking and were dressed up as the village people. I didn't recognize him at first because of the costume and I told him that it looked like it would be fun to work for Sam. He replied," I am Sam, go in and fill out an application, we do this every Friday." He seems very cool and down to earth.

I know, right? It was 38 cans of pumpkin for a 500 gallon batch or something. The cans looked like 1/2 gallons so that's not much pumpkin at all.

That explains a lot for me, really. I mentioned that I find their Punkin rather bland. I like my pumpkin ales big on pumpkin and spice. I find theirs to be neither. The Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale recipe Yuri posted is much more my style. I think that would require about 375 lbs. of pumpkin for a 500 gallon batch given that I used 66 ounces for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Some people like their pumpkin ales to be milder, though, so that's cool. To each their own.

I'm hoping that Discovery will run various brewers over the life of this show. DFH this season then move on to another next season. hence the name Brew Master(s)

How many episodes are scheduled for this season, 10?

I think there are only five episodes this season. Bitches Brew, Chicha, Punkin & Portamarillo, Grain to Glass, and Ancient Ale. At least those are the only five listed on the Discovery Channel's website. Whether there are more that they haven't listed yet I'm not sure.

I know, right? It was 38 cans of pumpkin for a 500 gallon batch or something. The cans looked like 1/2 gallons so that's not much pumpkin at all.

I though it said they were doing 600 barrel batches. They also showed a portion of a the computer screen what appeared to be the control room, it showed 3100, which I assumed would be a 100 barrel batch. Even then, I was also shocked on how little pumpkin they used.

Did anyone else wonder where the 5-GALLON bucket of pumpkin was? You can buy bigger cans of pumpkin at Costco for crimminy's sake.
This was my comment to the wife as well. She mentioned how he said he wanted only Pure pumpkin. I'm wondering if the larger containers are more of a pie mix with spices already added.

I though it said they were doing 600 barrel batches. They also showed a portion of a the computer screen what appeared to be the control room, it showed 3100, which I assumed would be a 100 barrel batch. Even then, I was also shocked on how little pumpkin they used.

From the pumpkin recipes I've seen here it's not the pumpkin that gives the big pumpkin flavor anyway as much as it is the spices. and there were several buckets of spices.

That explains a lot for me, really. I mentioned that I find their Punkin rather bland. I like my pumpkin ales big on pumpkin and spice. I find theirs to be neither. The Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale recipe Yuri posted is much more my style. I think that would require about 375 lbs. of pumpkin for a 500 gallon batch given that I used 66 ounces for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Some people like their pumpkin ales to be milder, though, so that's cool. To each their own.

This might be a function of the business end of the brewery too. I don't know what DFH charges for a sixer of their punkin ale, but I'm sure its on the higher end. Cutting back on the adjuncts might cost the beer some of its flavor, but its probably helping the breweries bottom line. One reason I'm glad im not in his shoes. Try to sell a 20 dollar six pack that is exactly what you wanted it to be, or try to sell a 12 dollar six pack that might be more bland than you hoped for, but is less costly to make. Glad on the small 5 gallon scale I brew, that's never really an issue ^_^

I finally found some DFH beer on a store's shelves here in the West (at BevMo); it was 90 minute IPA and $11 for a 4-pack... why so expensive? I couldn't bear to pay that much since I can make 5 gal for $20 worth of ingredients... maybe I'm just a frugal SOB.

This might be a function of the business end of the brewery too. I don't know what DFH charges for a sixer of their punkin ale, but I'm sure its on the higher end. Cutting back on the adjuncts might cost the beer some of its flavor, but its probably helping the breweries bottom line. One reason I'm glad im not in his shoes. Try to sell a 20 dollar six pack that is exactly what you wanted it to be, or try to sell a 12 dollar six pack that might be more bland than you hoped for, but is less costly to make. Glad on the small 5 gallon scale I brew, that's never really an issue ^_^

I think you are correct in the fact that 90% of the people who will be buying it will assume that is as good as it gets or could get, exactly what a pumpkin ale SHOULD taste like. "It's made by DFH so it must be the best, right?" So he can cut cost and still satisfy 90% of his market which is a win for him.

I finally found some DFH beer on a store's shelves here in the West (at BevMo); it was 90 minute IPA and $11 for a 4-pack... why so expensive? I couldn't bear to pay that much since I can make 5 gal for $20 worth of ingredients... maybe I'm just a frugal SOB.

Dogfish Head is one of the more expensive American craft breweries out there. I find most of their beers sub-standard, which is why I rarely buy them, especially for the price. I do love me some Theobroma and Festina Peche every once in a while though.

Is it just me?? I soo wanted to enjoy this show but the owner of Dogfish Brewery just pisses me off.. They make everything look so easy and sexy... I've been brewing for 15 plus years and nothing ever goes right even when it does... It must be brewers' envy or something... I just can't stand him or his perfect brewery..LOL:(

It's won many prestigious awards hence the price tag.

It's also a damn tasty brew, but I'm sure the lightness of my wallet probably affected my taste buds in some fashion.

I think you'd be hard pressed to make that beer for $20/5gal. It's totally worth the price of admission, and is a fantastical example of an Imperial IPA.

Dogfish Head is one of the more expensive American craft breweries out there. I find most of their beers sub-standard, which is why I rarely buy them, especially for the price. I do love me some Theobroma and Festina Peche every once in a while though.

I really would like to try some of the styles given all the hype; maybe some clone brews are in order. :D

I must admit that I was a hater after the first episode (Sam came of SUPER *****y). For some reason my DVR skipped the Chicha episode and caught the 3rd one. I really enjoyed the Pumpkin & Portamarillo episode and then I caught the Chicha out of order. I was shocked at how LITTLE pumpkin they used.

Sam and his wife have GREAT kids; and watching them interact showed the "real" him IMO. Those interactions made me like him a lot more.

Agree with the whole post here. SWMBO is a biologist, so she had a lot of cringe moments in the chicha episode. Lab seems a tad on the unorganized side.

That being said, I want to hear the response of his employees who watch the Chicha episode only to find otu that the only person who was still chewing any of the corn was doing so with germinated corn, which would have been WAY easier to chew.

And we did some quick math and also laughed at how little pumpkin they use in the Punkin Ale.

Is it just me?? I soo wanted to enjoy this show but the owner of Dogfish Brewery just pisses me off.. They make everything look so easy and sexy... I've been brewing for 15 plus years and nothing ever goes right even when it does... It must be brewers' envy or something... I just can't stand him or his perfect brewery..LOL:(
Just the opposite. After watching a couple episodes, I am a bug fan of Sam as a person. He seems like a great guy to work for and I think he'd be pretty fun to hang out with. Seems to keep his family in the main picture as well despite the busy life.

First of all, commercial and home brewing processes are totally different. Secondly, they have shown things going wrong. Thirdly, once you have a hard-wired, hard-plumbed system, and stop tinkering with it between every batch (like I and many other homebrewers do), it becomes a lot more reliable.

I'm a fan of the show. My wife, who is very good at rolling her eyes every time I mention anything beer related, is now a fan of the show. It's inspiring enough to get me thinking about recipes more and pulling out the "brew rig". Anything that does that is good. I'd recommend the show to anyone interested in the nuances of the brewing process. Especially my free-loading friends that ask dumb questions about the process. Heaven forbid they actually learn something.

The negativity that some of you have shown in reaction to the show boggles my mind.

Sam seems like a down-to-earth, quirky dude who loves what he does. He makes beers that he likes, and they seem to be doing very well. I LOVE most of his beers, and think they are consistent and high quality brews.

Also, having a show on national television about brewing is a dream come true. The show provides an in depth look at the work that goes into running a brewery, which I think is a dream for a lot of us. I know the show inspires me to work even harder after seeing where Sam came from.

So quit your complaining already! If you don't like it, don't watch it. I know I look forward to it every week, and every time I watch the show, it makes me want to brew. I think that is a very good thing.

*steps down from soap box*

The negativity that some of you have shown in reaction to the show boggles my mind.

Sam seems like a down-to-earth, quirky dude who loves what he does. He makes beers that he likes, and they seem to be doing very well. I LOVE most of his beers, and think they are consistent and high quality brews.

Also, having a show on national television about brewing is a dream come true. The show provides an in depth look at the work that goes into running a brewery, which I think is a dream for a lot of us. I know the show inspires me to work even harder after seeing where Sam came from.

So quit your complaining already! If you don't like it, don't watch it. I know I look forward to it every week, and every time I watch the show, it makes me want to brew. I think that is a very good thing.

*steps down from soap box*

I see it as a discussion between internet friends about a topic, no big deal about people who don't care for it as much as others, it happens all the time. I guarantee you if I come to work and during lunch I bring up any new show on TV or some movie there are going to be some that don't like it as much as I do or not at all. I wouldn't want them to leave the room or get out of the discussion because of that.

I see it as a discussion between internet friends about a topic, no big deal about people who don't care for it as much as others, it happens all the time. I guarantee you if I come to work and during lunch I bring up any new show on TV or some movie there are going to be some that don't like it as much as I do or not at all. I wouldn't want them to leave the room or get out of the discussion because of that.

I feel like a lot of it is beyond just discussion, and well into the "bashing" realm.

.... and I dare any homebrewer to sit thru an hour long show and NOT run to the fridge to grab one of your own and think about ways to make it better while watching the show.

It is a brew show... I like it.

I really would like to try some of the styles given all the hype; maybe some clone brews are in order. :D

I really liked their barleywine, Olde School. I bought a 4-pack for some outrageous pricetag somewhere in the $12-$15 range IIRC. I couldn't find ANYthing about trying to clone that.

I haven't tried too many of their offerings, as they are pricey. 60minute is pretty tasty. I just bought Punkin and will try that soon. I really want to try the Bitches Brew and the Tamarillo (although the latter won't be available unil early next year apparently).

I will gladly be trying anything I get my hands on, and since this show highlights DFH, I will be sampling more of theirs. Marketing at its finest lol.

I, too, hope that subsequent seasons grab new breweries.

About episode #3, "Punkin & Portamarillo":

I don't think I've ever had tamarillo, but according to the Wikipedia the inside of the fruit is sweet, while the outside is very bitter and usually tossed out (sort of like the passion fruit). No wonder the beer turned up too bitter, I bet you that's because they used the whole fruit and didn't adjust for the bitterness of the fruit.

Anyways, love the show :D

Latest posts

Back