Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed it quite a bit. They are definitely hamming it up a bit for the cameras but its interesting to see their thought process on creating a new beer.

Sam is also working with Mario Batali on a NYC microbrew pub at his market Eataly. He really is becoming the “celebrity chef” of the beer world. I hope he just doesn’t morph into an Emeril like sellout.

I actually like the show. In fact it has gotten me back into home brewing seeing his passion and looking at beer from a different perspective.

I like beer that tastes like beer but seeing this show makes me rethink this and try different types of beer.

I have seen both shows, so far have enjoyed watching them. I would like to see him break down step by step in the brew process

One question I did have about the first episode. He said that 5 weeks was cutting it close for an Imperial IPA and normally its two weeks for an IPA. Two weeks? How can he have an IPA ready in two weeks? I’m assuming for large breweries they can make that happen but I’ve never had a beer drinkable in two weeks.

One question I did have about the first episode. He said that 5 weeks was cutting it close for an Imperial IPA and normally its two weeks for an IPA. Two weeks? How can he have an IPA ready in two weeks? I’m assuming for large breweries they can make that happen but I’ve never had a beer drinkable in two weeks.

Two weeks isn't so bad. I did a beer for a party once from kettle to glass in 8 days. It may not be ideal but it can be done.

Maybe someone should start a thread about the brewing timelines on this show...

Seriously. now that I know craft brewers are sending out five week old Imperial IPA's it makes me wonder if I should age them before drinking.

Seriously. now that I know craft brewers are sending out five week old Imperial IPA's it makes me wonder if I should age them before drinking.

Definitely don't age that. IPAs are best served fresh, as the hop flavor fades with aging. Imperials may differ a little, but I still say drink em fresh.

I believe that on the show, they talk about Imperial Stout being done normally five weeks, not IPAs. Since they fused imperial stout with the T'ej, anyway.

Breweries have capabilities that we as homebrewers can't even begin to fathom (well... some of us do as I know some people are more advanced than simple homebrewers). Giant fermentors that create hydrolic pressure on the yeast enhance fermentation speeds. Filtration is another thing commercial breweries do that we don't get to. Crystal clear beer without a drop of sludge in the bottle. That doesn't mean I pour a commerical beer the same, and leave the last ounce in the bottle. Just the same, they can mass produce beer with the quickness. Don't be scrrrd

definilty an entertaining show, and Sam definilty has the personality to keep even the non-beer geek or homebrewer entertained. Just saw the Bitches Brew episode the other, pretty cool concept

watching second one on dvr right now this chicha sounds good but don't know if i could bring myself to drink it unless i knew for sure it wasn't made with spit

Here's a beer guy, Sam Calagione, making every effort to make this TV show a success. Probably more pressure than making beer, ya think? And here we sit playing Monday Morning Quarterback!!

Sam is about having fun exploring the extremes of brewing, with the emphasis on FUN! I met him at AHA when it was in Oakland 2 years ago and he is the same trusting, light hearted, serious as a heart attack about beer guy that you see in the show.

I applaud him and his pioneer efforts in the brewing community!

To me, he is right there with McAuliffe, Maytag, Grossman, Cilurzo, and Koch (Jim and Greg), Papazian, and a whole host of other notables who are recreating the craft brewing industry in America. Thank God for each and every one of them!!

If I sound like an A- #1 fan boy, so be it!! I' just off centered enough to understand the quest! :D

Well said!
:tank:

Others have pointed out a few reasons why they can produce beer so quickly, but I had one more.

You have to realize that we have to wait for beer to carbonate. I have an IPA from kettle to bottle in two weeks easily, but the carbonation takes another 3 weeks if I bottle. Breweries usually carbonate while the beer is being transferred into the bottle, so they do in seconds what takes us weeks.

I thought they made it pretty clear that they were trying to follow the traditional process as much as was feasible. I think the spit thing was to get people to think more about the culture and history of the drink.

I see your point about the spit part, but both authentic, traditional examples in the show used germinated corn. Chewing hard ungerminated corn was unnessessary following traditional methods, unless I missed something in the show. Common sence there would have taken away from the 'drama' of the show and maybe that was really what Sam was after however.

He does have a successful brewery while am working for the 'man'. Maybe if I had a more cavalier atitude things would be different for me and others like me.

You did!!

Germinated corn has the enzymes, Alpha Amylase, to break down the starch chains. Un-malted (un-germinated) corn does not. That enzyme has to come from saliva.

Chewing the corn is a throwback to what people did to produce a beer in ancient times, the show merely depicted what was involved in the process and how today, we take much for granted.

The beer is an approximation, a modern equivalent of the ancient recipe.

I like the show and I'm a Dogfish Head fan but if you think I'm going to blindly rah rah his hip hop then you are sorely mistaken. Can't wait for next week's episode.

I thought this weeks show was wayyyyyyyy better than last weeks.
Now I want to go to Peru...it looked beautiful!

I have to say I am not exactly a big Sam fan either, sometimes he is a bit much, but he is definately camera friendly. It is not any brewer out there that can take this subject and make it interesting/maybe exciting for a non brewer.
"We mash this one at 148...We mash this one at 149...". Exiciting to me...yes, to you...maybe, to the rest of the population...not really.

My hats off to Sam, I hope his show sees a second season!

Back to Back new episodes...I don't like all of Dogfish Head's Beers, but still respect what there doing and am a fan of the show...I don't watch TV much but look forward to this weekly...If you dont like it DON'T WATCH IT.

Just my logic

You did!!

Germinated corn has the enzymes, Alpha Amylase, to break down the starch chains. Un-malted (un-germinated) corn does not. That enzyme has to come from saliva.

I didn't miss that and I get that. In the two 'authentic' examples aired, both used germinated corn. One of them used saliva for 'additional' A-A.

Was there any mention of them not germinating corn in ancient times? Or did they always germinate and then added to the starch breakdown with saliva?

I see your point about the spit part, but both authentic, traditional examples in the show used germinated corn. Chewing hard ungerminated corn was unnessessary following traditional methods, unless I missed something in the show. Common sence there would have taken away from the 'drama' of the show and maybe that was really what Sam was after however.

He does have a successful brewery while am working for the 'man'. Maybe if I had a more cavalier atitude things would be different for me and others like me.

the spit was boiled in the show unlike the stuff he had in peru! eeew! :drunk:
not sure I'd be doing that in the third world!

But he went for the pre germinated corn method. (he also made up the difference with crushed/flaked corn available to us.

OH and yes I think there is a new episode on tonight!

And I have met Sam in the 90's when he was just getting started... really nice guy, looks like success has not gone to his head. took a bunch of advice form hombrewers at his tastings.

Can't wait!! Hey Meaty!! Didn't like the Hip Hop either, but ya gotta do sumptin' to make da brewin be intrestin'!! :D

Bitches Brew, we're makin Bitches Brew! :eek:

I'd hate to try and make any of the beers I've made exciting or interesting enough to fill the time in a 1 hour show...

Think about that. How many times can you visit the maltster, show the barley in the field, visit the hop farm, show the brewing process; if it wasn't for the off beat stuff Sam does the show would only be 30 min and last for 3 shows before they ran out of material.

I'm not trying to sell the show, if you don't like it, that's OK, I don't care. I just believe it is noteworthy that there is a freaking Craft Brewing show on TV. Think about how many potential home brewers will be motivated to join our ranks because of it.

I didn't miss that and I get that. In the two 'authentic' examples aired, both used germinated corn. One of them used saliva for 'additional' A-A.

Was there any mention of them not germinating corn in ancient times? Or did they always germinate and then added to the starch breakdown with saliva?

At the beginning, they mentioned that in ancient times the corn wasn't germinated.

the spit was boiled in the show unlike the stuff he had in peru! eeew! :drunk:
not sure I'd be doing that in the third world!

But he went for the pre germinated corn method. (he also made up the difference with crushed/flaked corn available to us.

OH and yes I think there is a new episode on tonight!

The spit was boiled. It was allowed to "mash" overnight then was boiled and strained through straw and allowed to naturally ferment for three days.

They showed it several times. Crock, fire, remember! :D

I remember the elements, I just didnt remember feeling totally sure about the process.

ok.. sorry, humor me:
so they chew/spit, leave in crock overnight, boil (presumably adding water, and any other spices), then drain through hay, drink 2 days later.

do I got it?

Is anybody else gettin a brand new episode of the show tonight? Tamarillo's....am I the only one gettin this. I think someone at Discovery screwed up.

damn i thought they where all supposed to be on sundays? dvr is set to record series so i will have to wait 28 minutes to watch it i guess

Man what the hell is wrong with you guys? Sam stands for everything we all believe as home brewers. I find it hard to believe anyone would have any valid argument as to why they don't like him.

FYI: Being jealous does not count as a valid argument. Man... It should make you like him more anyway.

Great show. I wonder how many homebrewers will be inspired to go pro because of the show. I have to say, I haven't tried many Dogfish brews, but I will now. And, I am on the hunt to find a bottle of the Bitches Brew.

I thought the first two episodes were mediocre at best, but I liked this one. Maybe it's growing on me. He was a little more technical in this episode. It was a nice blend between the of the beer of the week, the brewery and family.

It's amazing that they didn't even try this beer until he got to NZ..What happens if it sucked??

Back