Brew Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
I'm looking for some long-term beer ideas. I'm going to be leaving for Afghanistan right after Christmas and won't be home until late next summer. I'm looking for a brew that I could do Thanksgiving time with my dad, and basically forget about it until I come back. I already have a Kriek that I'm doing next weekend, I'm looking for something equally interesting. Ideally, all I'll need my wife to do is make sure there is still liquid in the airlock. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Russ

You might want to check out Williams's Brewing. They carry vented silicone rubber stoppers that will function as a dry airlock. That said, I hope you're planning to at least rack before you disappear.

As to what to brew, I'd go with a barley wine -- the stronger the better. Or perhaps a very high-gravity porter.

Some that I have done this past year that were "long term":

Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Belgian Golden
Belgian Golden that I then added Montmorency Cherry Conc. to in secondary (will sour some of this).
Bourbon barrel porter
Barleywine.

How about a nice big maibock - that would be something you could ferment out and bottle/keg before you left and lager it till you got back and it would be a great summer beer.

A big, BIG Wee Heavy, or an English Old Ale. Something over 1.1 OG would be great for that kind of aging in secondary, or even in tertiary if you add some oak to the secondary. Keg and carb or repitch a little fresh yeast before bottling and you'll have a great beer to enjoy.

Thank you for your service. Be safe over there.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'm leaning towards a barley wine maybe. Although I didn't even think about the long term lagering option. I do have a dedicated chest freezer with a controller... And the possibilities multiply.....
Thanks
Russ

Back