Brew fell short of 5G: Priming amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
My 5 gallon brew has been in primary for two months, it needs to be bottled. Anyway according to my marks on the pale, it is just over 4G instead of the 5G intended when I actually made it. Ooops.

Anyway I'm priming with corn sugar, should I still use the full 3/4 cup, or if not how much less?

I'm guessing if I use the 3/4 I best get it into the fridge around 2 weeks instead of 3?

Based on the volumes of CO2 for the style you want, just figure out the ratio.
For example only: 140 grams/5 gallons = 28 grams per gallon.

4 X 28 = 112 grams.

Too much priming sugar will lead to overcarbonation.

You need to get yourself a scale, bro. I got a cheap 20 dollar one from target. The "standard" ratio for priming sugar for 2-2.5 vol of co2 is 1oz/gallon of beer. Typically most kits come with 4.5-5 ounces of corn sugar in it. (It changes if you're carbing to style) but if you're down a gallon you should use 4 oz of sugar.

Hey next time you're capturing an fugitive in a drug house, snag one of those fancy scales they use for measuring out their various "products." Just be sure to wipe off any powder that might be on it...I highly doubt it's corn sugar, though it might be lactose. ;)

nukinfuts29 said:
yea i thought about that a few weeks ago. Right now i'm stuck with the measuring cups haha

You could always just eyeball a 20% reduction in corn sugar. Not ideal, but it should work ok.

Back