Brew Belt with Glass Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
The brew belt I have says not to use it with glass. It seems like a carboy would be able to handle the slight heat added by the belt.

Has anyone tried using a brew belt with a glass carboy?

Thanks In Advance,
Frank

The brew belt I have says not to use it with glass. It seems like a carboy would be able to handle the slight heat added by the belt.

Has anyone tried using a brew belt with a glass carboy?

Thanks In Advance,
Frank

This is from Northern Brewer's website:
This electric heating belt can help to maintain minimum fermenting temperatures in cold rooms or basements. Fits 5, 6, or 7.5 gallon plastic buckets and 3, 5, and 6 gallon Better Bottles; although the Brew Belt will also fit 3, 5, 6 and 6.5 gallon glass carboys, the manufacturer does not recommend using it with glass fermenters. Recommended use is for up to 8 days of primary fermentation.

I guess it is up to you. Temperature cycling could weaken the glass.

Please don't do the belt on a glass carboy. You don't want that shattering. And in a world of temperature control, most of us are chasing the easy way to keep it cool.

I use a heating belt on glass carboys with no issues. My brew belts don't get so hot I can't hold them comfortably. I truly doubt that the glass will weaken with the minor temperature fluctuations.

Yeah, I saw on the packaging it said no glass. I was wondering if anyone has actually used it. I only noticed the packaging by accident (who reads directions anyways lol). And I was wondering if anyone had tried it. Thanks all for the input. I agree the belt does not get very hot, and was surprised it recommended no glass, but I guess it could be due to temperature cycling changes, as mentioned. I've only used it on plastic buckets so far.

Glass is already risky enough. Even if it doesn't heat very hot, why add to your risk? I also think the problem doesn't come from how hot but by the localized area of the heating on the glass itself. (Hot under the belt and cool everywhere else)

Back