Brett Wit Beer/thoughts/help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoSteezy

Reaction score
I have been throwing around the idea of making a wit and using brett b in the secondary. I was wondering if I should worry about the stability because it would have to age for a period longer than a wheat beer normally would.
Any suggestions and past experience with wheat beer aging would be awesome.

you could use the brett as the primary yeast, it's usually ready in about 5-6 weeks. If you do, I'd recommend pitching the brett at lager rates vs ale

Sounds tasty. Maybe use the Roeselare strain to add a little more character? If you throw in some fruit, you'll have something close to a lambic.

How's this turn out? I just pitched a Wyeast witbier strain into primary and have a small starter of Brett L going that I'm going to pitch into the wit after a couple days of activity. I think the funkiness will blend with the wit profile very well.

I made a weizen, but pitched it on my yeast cake from my lambic, which I also pitched a flanders on(so the yeast cake is like 9 month old and is super funky). I added a pack of lambic blend yeast. It has been sitting about a month. It taste pretty darn good. Nice tarteness. No brett character yet though.

I am making an attempt at this idea in the morning. I will post tasting samples throughout the process on the brett.

I pitched the brett last night. Put in the cellar. Now the waiting game starts.

Here is the wit recipe I used for the experiment:

batch size-12 gallon
10lb 2-row
6lb flaked wheat.
6lb white wheat.
2lb oats
.5lb acid malt
.5lb munich.
1oz magnum(60min)
.5oz Cascade(15min)
orange zest 2.5oz(5min)
mash:154.

I have been throwing around the idea of making a wit and using brett b in the secondary. I was wondering if I should worry about the stability because it would have to age for a period longer than a wheat beer normally would.
Any suggestions and past experience with wheat beer aging would be awesome.

It will age fine. My wits age surprisingly well even into 6+ months.

Back