Brett saison with spirulina?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody ever brewed a beer with spirulina? It has a very "earthy" kind of flavor. The powdered stuff is nearly black, but is really dark deep green. I wonder if it would play well in a saison with Brett secondary fermentation. Wonder if the Brett would metabolize any of the spirulina.... Anyone??

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've brewed with spirulina. I frequent Freetail Brewing and tried to replicate their spirulina wit for a saint paddy's party. I added the powder in secondary. It turned the beer a beautiful color of green, but tasted strongly of fish. It was undrinkable. I had to replace the seals in that keg to get the smell out of it. Use with caution.

I've never even heard of spirulina until now, but crownsdown doesn't make it sound very pleasant...

Spirulina is really pungent. Use very, very sparingly because it tastes like pond scum. I worked in a vegan bakery that used spirulina as green coloring and we would make a paste with powder + water then very slowly add it in until the desired color was reached. Add too much and you're throwing the whole batch out.

Yeah, it's pretty gross stuff. But I wonder what Brett would do to that gross flavor.

Maybe one tablet into a bottle of my finished saison with Brett age and see what happens.

TD

Back