Brett Favre retires!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish he would've kept going. I've never respected a QB as much as him (in my 20 years of watching football). Sucks his last career pass was an interception...

Well, to the rest of the teams in the NFC North- Nothing to be afraid of in the Green Bay anymore, the division is officially up for grabs next year.......

FWIW, you can't even get to the story on journal/sentinel.com. Musta been so many hits already to make the server crash.

So strange after last season. If it holds true then they need to look at the draft for a QB and changes on the D-Line. I'm not writing off what's his name :eek: but just in case.

Best news I've heard all day, mostly because he's strung everyone along for the past few years on whether or not he would retire.

He's a helluva QB for sure, but even without him, I predict the Pack will have a better record than the Lions next year.

Bernie Brewer said:
Well, to the rest of the teams in the NFC North- Nothing to be afraid of in the Green Bay anymore, the division is officially up for grabs next year.......

That's exactly what I was thinking. The Packers instantly went from NFC contender to a below .500 team.

Flyin' Lion said:
Best news I've heard all day, mostly because he's strung everyone along for the past few years on whether or not he would retire.

He's a helluva QB for sure, but even without him, I predict the Pack will have a better record than the Lions next year.

On a related note, I predict that the sun will come up tomorrow! :D

I think that all but 2 or 3 teams in the NFL will have a better record than the Lions next year. 3-13 isn't very hard to beat.

My hope is that Thompson, Bus Cook and Farve are all on the same page and he was not forced out. I don't want to see him in a Raiders or a Dolphins, etc uni for a year.

BTW you Lions fans caused this ad:

imgad.gif

Copied from http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

"I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired," Favre told ESPN's Chris Mortensen in a voice mail messasge.

"If I felt like coming back -- and Deanna [Favre, his wife] and I talked about this -- the only way for me to be successful would be to win a Super Bowl. To go to the Super Bowl and lose, would almost be worse than anything else. Anything less than a Super Bowl win would be unsuccessful," Favre said in the message.

"I know it shouldn't feel unsuccessful, but the only way to come back and make that be the right decision would be to come back and win a Super Bowl and honestly the odds of that, they're tough. Those are big shoes for me to fill, and I guess it was a challenge I wasn't up for. "

Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Bus Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

The Gunslinger Retires

Brett Favre leaves the NFL with his name atop several career passing categories. In 2007, he set the record for passing TDs (442), passing yards (61,655) and wins by a starting QB (160) and interceptions (288). Including the playoffs, he played in 275 consecutive games.
Most TD passes TDs
Brett Favre 442
Dan Marino 420
Fran Tarkenton 342
Peyton Manning 306
Most passing yards Passing yards
Favre 61,655
Marino 61,361
John Elway 51,475
Warren Moon 49,325
QB wins by starter Wins
Favre 160
Elway 148
Marino 147
Tarkenton 125
Interceptions INTs
Favre 288
George Blanda 277
John Hadl 268
Vinny Testaverde 267

The news was a surprise to at least one of Favre's teammates. Most players expected Favre to return after a successful 2007 season.

"I just saw it come across the TV," Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson said, when reached on his cell phone by The Associated Press.

The 38-year-old Favre had made his annual flirtation with retirement a winter tradition in Wisconsin. He has taken weeks and even months to make his decision after recent seasons, with Cheeseheads hanging on his every word.

But unlike the final game of the 2006 season -- when Favre provided a cliffhanger by getting choked up in a television interview as he walked off the field in Chicago, only to return once again -- nearly everyone assumed he would be back.

A sure-fire first-ballot Hall of Famer, Favre, acquired in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, led the Packers back to the NFL's elite. He retires with 5,377 carrer completions in 8,758 attempts for 61,655 yards, 442 touchdowns and 288 interceptions, passing Dan Marino's touchdown mark last season.

As a player Favre was known for his durability, his willingness to take risks and turn broken plays into big gains, as well as for the way his love for the game was evident in the way he played. He went to a pair of Super Bowls in 1996 and 1997, winning it all on his first try in Super Bowl XXXI, and was named to nine Pro Bowls.

He finished his career on a streak of 253 consecutive regular season starts -- 275 including playoff games.

Cook said as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

"I talked to Brett this morning and I told him 'nobody forced you to make this decision to retire, but the flip side is nobody encouraged you to play,'" Cook told Mortensen. "Two years ago, Ted [Thompson, the Packers' GM] encouraged him to play, but there was nothing this time around from them offering encouragement or him to come back."

The Packers said they would a news confernece at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

"He has had one of the greatest careers in the history of the National Football League, and he is able to walk away from the game on his own terms -- not many players are able to do that," the team said in a statement. "The Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude. He has given Packers fans 16 years of wonderful memories, a Super Bowl championship among them, that will live on forever."

Favre, who returned for the 2007 season when many thought he should have left the game, had a career renaissance in his final season and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in overtime.

Favre passed Marino for the all-time completions record in 2006, and in 2007 set NFL records for wins by a QB, touchdown passes, pass attempts, pass yards and interceptions. He claimed the NFL record for career quarterback wins with his 149th victory in Week 2, passed Marino for the TD record in Week 4 and overtook Marino's career passing yards record in Week 15.

Mortensen reported that Favre, who wanted the Packers to obtain Randy Moss when he was a free agent last season, had once again pushed for Moss to join the Packers.

Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

In his voice mail message to Mortensen on Tuesday, Favre said the Packers' lack of pursuit of Moss was not the driving reason why he retired.

"This is not about the Packers and who they got or who they didn't get. I get along fine with [Thompson] and I get along great with [McCarthy]. Do I agree with them all the time? No. But the bottom line is, none of that stuff affected my decision," Favre said.

Surrounded by an underrated group of wide receivers who proved hard to tackle after the catch, Favre had a career-high completion percentage of 66.5 in 2007. He threw for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions.

It was a remarkable turnaround from the past two seasons. In 2005, Favre's final season under former head coach Mike Sherman, when he threw a career-worst 29 interceptions as the Packers went 4-12. In 2006 he completed 56 percent of his passes and threw for as many touchdowns (18) as interceptions.

Given Favre's career resurgence, it was widely assumed that he was leaning toward returning for the 2008 season.

He even said as much just before the Packers' Jan. 12 divisional playoff game against Seattle, telling his hometown newspaper that he wasn't approaching the game as if it would be his last and was more optimistic than in years past about returning.

"For the first time in three years, I haven't thought this could be my last game," Favre told the Biloxi [Miss.] Sun Herald. "I would like to continue longer."

Acquired from Atlanta by then-Packers General Manager Ron Wolf for a first-round draft choice on Feb. 10, 2002, Favre appeared in his first Packers game on Sept. 20, 1992, replacing injured then-starter Dan Majkowski and leading the Packers to a 24-23 come-from-behind victory.

The Falcons selected Favre out of Southern Mississippi with the 33rd pick of the 1992 NFL draft.

ESPN NFL reporter Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Munch out!

Wow. I was really taken aback this morning when I saw the headline on msn.com about Brett Favre retiring.

This year everyone pretty much thought it was a sure bet that he would come back next year. That made the contrarian in me say he probably would retire this year. But I still was pretty surprised to see the news.

Now Packer fans around the world will have to wake up to the reality that it may be years and years before we ever get another Hall of Fame quarterback in Green Bay. It took 21 years from Bart Starr to Brett Favre. It could even be longer this time. I may not see it again in my lifetime.

Brett Favre gave us an awful lot of excitement and enjoyment, though, over the past 16 years. The Packers and Packer fans will sorely miss him as a player.

All over ESPN right now. I'm not a Pack fan, but I have always been a Favre fan. That Monday night Game after his father died, and he was nearly perfect, was one of the more memorable sports moments in my lifetime. He will be missed

I think they will still contend, Aaron Rogers is pretty good if he can stay healthy, But im still Tearing up! Thanks Brett! GO PACK!!!!!

Bernie Brewer said:
FWIW, you can't even get to the story on journal/sentinel.com. Musta been so many hits already to make the server crash.

packers.com took down their site and put up a news page with just one pic to try to keep it from crashing. there is a press conference at 3 pm CST today (can bee seen on packers .com as well as all the tv stations im sure)

John Madden has officially been put on suicide watch with the annoucement of Favre's retirement. :D

I'm not happy about this but I think that Aaron Rodgers can hold things up for a while. I wouldn't say that the Packers are a below .500 team but they aren't a 12 win team either.

sause said:
I'm not happy about this but I think that Charles Rodgers can hold things up for a while. I wouldn't say that the Packers are a below .500 team but they aren't a 12 win team either.

That would be Aaron Rodgers. See, you cheeseheads have replied on Favre for so long you don't even know who the friggin backup is! ;) :p

ohiobrewtus said:
That would be Aaron Rodgers. See, you cheeseheads have replied on Favre for so long you don't even know who the friggin backup is! ;) :p

RICLARK said:
I think they will still contend, Aaron Rogers is pretty good if he can stay healthy, But im still Tearing up! Thanks Brett! GO PACK!!!!!

I DO TO!!!!!:D

ohiobrewtus said:

DesertBrew said:
... I'm not writing off what's his name :eek: but just in case.

I really thought his name was "what's his name" or maybe "clipboard holder". Welcome to the NFL Aaron. Now Run Forest Run!!!!!!!!

Well, I think Aaron Rodgers can step up and do well. I will really miss Brett Favre, though- he brought so much fun and excitement to every game. I loved watching him play and loved being a fan.

I guess Mr. Fav-ruh couldn't put off any longer co-starring in "There's Something about Mary II".

RICLARK said:
The Saddest thing of all is that Now Jon Kitna is the best QB in the Nfc North! UGH!!!!

Too busy to browse the AFC/NFC divisions but the NFC North "could" have the worst batch of QB's of em all. I'm still not writing off Rodgers yet. He's thrown 59 passes thus far in his career (excluding pre-season).

DesertBrew said:
Too busy to browse the AFC/NFC divisions but the NFC North "could" have the worst batch of QB's of em all. I'm still not writing off Rodgers yet. He's thrown 59 passes thus far in his career (excluding pre-season).

I agree, Aaron Rodgers will be a good QB, He looked damn good in the game against Dallas this past season when Favre got hurt.

Latest posts

Back