Brett Favre retires!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RICLARK said:
The Saddest thing of all is that Now Jon Kitna is the best QB in the Nfc North! UGH!!!!

That is one sad and pathetic statement, but it is probably true.

Out of Rodgers, Grossman, Jackson and Kitna, Kitna is by far the best and most experienced QB in what is probably one of the worst divisions in the NFL.

ohiobrewtus said:
That is one sad and pathetic statement, but it is probably true.

Out of Rodgers, Grossman, Jackson and Kitna, Kitna is by far the best and most experienced QB in what is probably one of the worst divisions in the NFL.

Not to get TOO :off: , but the only free-agency decision that was dumber that the Bears bringing Grossman back was Grossman GOING back to Chicago, instead of somewhere that he'd get a fresh start. I mean, the Bears, looking at their quarterback situation last year and deciding, the best course of action was to let Grossman and Kyle Orton fight it out for the starting job? REALLY?

Hey, can one of you milwaukee area guys grab me a Sunday JSO? Supposedly they are going to have a big commemorative section. I'll pay you for shipping and all that.

Thanks....

Even though I hate the packers, the press conference was/is hard to watch. Favre is one of, if not the best of all time. I hate to see him go, and I'm not even a Packers fan.

ohiobrewtus said:
Even though I hate the packers, the press conference was/is hard to watch. Favre is one of, if not the best of all time. I hate to see him go, and I'm not even a Packers fan.

+1...you can't dislike the guy, let alone disrespect him...

the_bird said:
Not to get TOO :off: , but the only free-agency decision that was dumber that the Bears bringing Grossman back was Grossman GOING back to Chicago, instead of somewhere that he'd get a fresh start. I mean, the Bears, looking at their quarterback situation last year and deciding, the best course of action was to let Grossman and Kyle Orton fight it out for the starting job? REALLY?

I agree with you, but there wasn't really much out there this year at the QB position. Billy Volek was probably at the top of the list and he re-signed with SD pretty quickly. Next would have been Josh McCown and he also signed pretty quickly with Miami.

Neither Grossman or Orton are the answer. I fully expect them to take Brian Brohm if he's still there at pick #14 in the first round. If they do, he'll be starting by week 8.

I heard on the radio today that Sports Illustrated is coming out with an 84 page commemorative issue dedicated to Brett Favre. It'll hit newsstands Monday. And Dude, you have to buy it at the newsstand, it's not being mailed to subscribers.

Bernie Brewer said:
I heard on the radio today that Sports Illustrated is coming out with an 84 page commemorative issue dedicated to Brett Favre. It'll hit newsstands Monday. And Dude, you have to buy it at the newsstand, it's not being mailed to subscribers.

I heard it is selling out before it even hits stands in WI and surrounding states. I found out today that it isn't being ciirculated to any other states besides around WI. If you WI boys can't find one, amazon has them for sale right now for 7.99.

Supposedly a hard cover SI book is being released too? And this week's regular circulated SI has favre on teh cover too.

Yeah WTMJ radio screwed up. They said last week that they were hitting the stands on Monday, but they were actually on sale Saturday, and sold out in no time. I'm gonna check out amazon, thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Just ordered mine from Amazon, Thanks Dude!

:cross: is about all I can say. Brett (if this even has a hint of truth) has a lot of testosterone to make it this long in the NFL and an excess of estrogen for his decision making capabilities.

Being a bit older than the rest of you I remember seeing Johnny Unitas play when I was 11 maybe 12 years old (not for the Colts, but the Chargers). All I remember is him throwing the ball deep and it going end over end by the time it was intercepted. One has to know when to say when(he doesn't need the money)

Being a bit older than the rest of you I remember seeing Johnny Unitas play when I was 11 maybe 12 years old (not for the Colts, but the Chargers). All I remember is him throwing the ball deep and it going end over end by the time it was intercepted. One has to know when to say when(he doesn't need the money)

What made that even sadder for me was I saw him play when he was good.

... One has to know when to say when(he doesn't need the money)

Yea but Favre was picked for starter in the pro-bowl last year. Oh well, this'll be interesting to see how it pans out. Off-Season Favre drama is pretty much the norm over the last 4 years...

He can come play for the Lions. We need someone with some grit and determination. He's probably better in retirement than the past 5-6 Qb's we've had!

So, I keep reading more news stories and finding out more info. The thing that hit me most was the fact that McCarthy and Thompson were about to fly to Mississippi before the draft after a talk with Favre saying he wanted to play - they were going to seal the deal on him coming back. He called them up at the last second and said he was staying retired.

Fast forward a few days, and GB picks up QB's in the 2nd and 7th rounds of the draft. So now they're committed to this, and the whole team shifts towards Rogers. Now Favre wants back in. He always said that in March he wasn't 100% committed and hasn't felt fully committed for some time and won't play if he isn't 100% committed. Now, for the first time this year, he says he's 100% committed. I believe he must be more committed right now than ever - he's been working hard, and if he's even willing to part with GB just to play... I totally believe he's going to be practicing and playing harder than he ever has.

But, where does that put GB as a whole? Probably better off than with Rogers, but then what? Will Rogers stick around when his contract is up after he's been given the shaft and never got to start, or will the team have to rely on one of these two new picks from this year's draft? Would the team then be in store for a crappy several years because GB has a great team but suck at QB?

I guess it's better off if Green Bay progresses with Rodgers - he's got an amazing team to work with, and the whole team has been prepared to head that direction. So, I'm anxious to see how the young awesome team develops, but I guess we have to get started with it now - right now is the opportunity. You probably don't get a better shot at it than this.

But...

This afternoon I watched some 2007 Favre highlights. Man, I'd give up 5 years of playoffs and championship games for one more season watching him and Jennings connect for a 80yd TD.

He can come play for the Lions. We need someone with some grit and determination. He's probably better in retirement than the past 5-6 Qb's we've had!

The Bears not too far off from the Lions with the QB mess here since '85, we'll take Farve maybe he can teach someone how to play here.

omg omg omg omg.....this is so awesome! Poor little Brett doesn't feel wanted. boo f'n hoo. Both sides look like a-holes in this one and one of them is a big time liar. For the record, I'd rather see the Bears go 1-15 then get Favre. The Packers won't let that happen anyway, Chicago or Minnesota.

omg omg omg omg.....this is so awesome! Poor little Brett doesn't feel wanted. boo f'n hoo. Both sides look like a-holes in this one and one of them is a big time liar. For the record, I'd rather see the Bears go 1-15 then get Favre. The Packers won't let that happen anyway, Chicago or Minnesota.

I know you're not implying that Detroit would consider taking him.

Personally, it is amusing to see him tarnish his image with this childishness.

I know you're not implying that Detroit would consider taking him.

Personally, it is amusing to see him tarnish his image with this childishness.

No, the Lions wouldn't make that move either. Kitna is......respectable as a QB but makes the same mistakes Favre makes so it's kinda the same style. Besides, he wouldn't go there anyway, they are missing too many pieces to win a Super Bowl. Maybe if they rehired Wayne Fontes, he would reconsider. ;)

Back