Brett Cider Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a "farmhouse" cider using Wyeast 3031 brett blend. Came out really nice, mildly funky but restrained, and super-dry. Extremely drinkable.

Label your fermenters so that you know it was used for brett at one point. If your cleaning and sanitation is good, you should be fine to go back and forth (I do, at least), but you still want to be able to track back an infection if something does go south.

Other than that, pick a strain or blend and go for it.

I age mine in glass then keg. I guess you can age in the keg as long as no air or oxygen.

Once fermented, I am considering kegging three gallons of cider and putting the keg away for about six months. Is that a good amount of time for a brett cider?

Take notes and report back in six months :) I honestly have no good information.

Brett works and changes over time because it has a several different metabolic pathways. Beer has a lot of different size sugar chains (starch, dextrines, sucrose, maltoise, etc), and brett breaks them down (several outside of the cell itself) into manageable pieces, then comes back later to eat them. I think of it like butchering a cow - brett knows how to do that; brett breaks down starches, dextrines, simple sugars, and even dead yeast. Beer yeasts (sacch) know how to cut a steak, but that's about it; they can metabolize simpler sugars, but cannot handle starch or dextrines (most strains). Wine yeasts are like children, picky eaters who like only simple sugars like sucrose, dextrose, fructose, and glucose.

Apple juice is mainly fructose and glucose, which is why it ferments so dry. It lacks the complex sugars and starches which feed brett over the long term, allowing it to give its unique flavors over a long fermentation schedule. I don't know what brett is going to do with the other compounds in apple juice. My farmhouse cider was a nice success, but I didn't notice a huge change over about five months. It was also a mild strain of brett, so YMMV. Good luck regardless.

Last edited:
I've made a lot of Brett cider & have found that aging really helps the flavor. I fully support the idea that you can use the same equipment for Brett and regular fermentation assuming you're cleaning and sanitation is good.

Actually tapping ~2.5 year old Brett kegs this week. Wonder how they will have changed . . .

I've made a lot of Brett cider & have found that aging really helps the flavor. I fully support the idea that you can use the same equipment for Brett and regular fermentation assuming you're cleaning and sanitation is good.

Actually tapping ~2.5 year old Brett kegs this week. Wonder how they will have changed . . .
Brett as primary or secondary?
Do you age on the lees?
How long do you think it takes for the flavor to peak?
At what temperature do you age?
What kind of aging vessel? Glass fermenters topped up and airlocked?

Thanks!

Brett as primary or secondary?
Do you age on the lees?
How long do you think it takes for the flavor to peak?
At what temperature do you age?
What kind of aging vessel? Glass fermenters topped up and airlocked?

Thanks!
Yes, big fan of sur lie aging for this type of product. Flavor peak depends, keep tasting & trust your palette while remebering how in bottle aging can continue the !

Temp, again depends of how it tastes.

Aging in topped up fermentors

Back