brett blend for 100% brett ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
would using a blend of two strains of brett (YeastBaay lochristi blend) be ok to use as a primary strain? or do i risk having the two strains not ferment simultaneously and have to wait for the 2nd to finish up after ~5 months or whatever.

The bulk of the fermentation with all-brett generally works on the same time frame as a sacch fermentation. However, if you plan to bottle/keg in under 5 months, I suggest you search for threads on bottling/kegging brett beers before you do so. There are a bunch. If you treat it like sacch you may have carbonation issues, and if you bottle then I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend you check out the threads on bottling with brett. Aside from that, what do they recommend this strain for, primary or secondary? You can use it any way you want, but blends are usually in ratios that attain a certain flavor profile that will be different if you don't use it as suggested.

i've made a couple brett ipas and didnt have any trouble carbing up bottles, thats weird. i suppose it would just be like a sach blend now that you put it that way tho.

their site doesnt say much about primary or secondary use. by the cell count it seems like its supposed to be used in secondary because its way less (forget the exact number off the top o my head)

think im just gonna go for it, start with a 1 gallon batch starter and go from there.

Message biobrewer, he's the owner of TYB. The blends aren't really made for primary, except the funk town blend. He'll likely suggest a starter

Latest posts

Back