Breaking Bad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you see the "finale"? I watched it last night and I'm still angry. Two seasons ago I was ready to quit, but then the huge plot twist (finally) came up so I figured I'd give it another season because it was going to get better. Well it got weirder, but not in a good way. I was going to quit then, but I heard the current season was the last one so I decided to watch it to get some closure on the series. The finale went on a minute too long for that, though.

Dexter was still not bad though. If you do decide to start watching it, just stop after season 5. It begins a downhill slump there and never comes to a resolution at the end.

he's right; season 6 isn't so bad, but if you watch it to the season-ending cliffhanger, you'll be compelled to watch 7, & after that you might as well stick around to see how it ends.

SPOILER ALERT FOR DEXTER (highlight text to read): if you've seen the series finale of Burn Notice, you can guess how Dexter will end. although BN was a happy ending, it worked for that show (which also had major issues with entire seasons, just like Dexter), how does a show about a serial killer as protagonist have a "happy" ending?

I'm certain Vince Gilligan will do better with his series finale

As long is it doesn't just randomly turn into a black screen, I'll be happy

they were joking about that on Talking Bad. Hardwick jokes, "maybe a quick fade to white?"

like it or hate it, we're still talking about how The Sopranos ended 6 years later.

but I agree, I'm pretty tired of ambiguous endings

GrogNerd said:
like it or hate it, we're still talking about how The Sopranos ended 6 years later.

I'm in the hate it camp, however, you are right.

The lead up to the finale in BB has been MUCH better than the lead up to the finale of the sopranos IMHO. I couldn't be more excited for this finale. It just seems like there is a ton that needs to happen in one episode.

I'm in the hate it camp, however, you are right.

The lead up to the finale in BB has been MUCH better than the lead up to the finale of the sopranos IMHO. I couldn't be more excited for this finale. It just seems like there is a ton that needs to happen in one episode.

final 2 episodes are both 1 hour 15 minutes, so they're packing in as much as they can

& Talking Bad will be one hour :rockin:

Thought this was funny:

image-4079431028.jpg

AMC is now running a Breaking Bad marathon, where they will show every episode of the series in order up until the airing of the final episode. Right now they are airing episode #1. (at least, they are in my time zone)

Although I notice by looking at the guide on my DVR that they will air a few hours of infomercials in the morning, this makes me want to stay up all night watching Breaking Bad--a truly horrible idea since I have a metric crapton of work that I have to get done in the next few days before I go on a business trip. I am already working ridiculous hours. I don't really need to stay up all night and make it worse.

I'm hoping they wrote it so Walter thinks, "**** it..." and guns down every one of the remaining meth crew with that Spas 12 shotgun.

The Jesse character doesn't make sense to me. He's a drug addict, drug dealer, drug manufacturer, murderer, he's betrayed Walt numerous times at the first sign of danger and almost got them both killed, had to get his life saved by Walt over and over, and spends most of the time moping around and acting like he deserves respect for no reason whatsoever. Why are we supposed to sympathize with him and why does Walt? Sure, they throw in that he can be clever at times, but overall he seems to be weak and stupid, especially compared to Walt. He shouldn't have made it to the last episode.

I am not a big fan of Jesse. However, I also recognize that the overall story line has been highly dependent on his character. If he had died in the first two seasons as apparently was planned then the story line would have been altered signficantly. The ricin, girl friend getting shot, girl friend dying on her own puke, the plea to save Walt's life, the development of Mike's character, the heir apparent to Walt's meth production, etc. Like him or not Jesse had ties to a lot of plot lines.

Aside from that, the Jesse storyline is also interesting when you compare the outcomes of the two "sons" of Walt. Both hate Walt. Both are victims of Walt's actions. Both benefited intiially from Walts success but now suffer from it. And both are now prisoners due to Walt.

That being said, I have had a lot of beers tonight so I recognize I am pulling a lot of <stuff> out of my <behind>

Yeah, I've gotta agree. I read an article today that interviewed Aaron Paul (the actor who plays Jesse), and he described the character as "lovable." I'm thinking, "What's lovable about that character?" He's a self-absorbed, narcisissistic prick who only cares about himself. We're all rooting for him to die - how can the actor be that out of touch with his own character?

Yeah, I've gotta agree. I read an article today that interviewed Aaron Paul (the actor who plays Jesse), and he described the character as "lovable." I'm thinking, "What's lovable about that character?" He's a self-absorbed, narcisissistic prick who only cares about himself. We're all rooting for him to die - how can the actor be that out of touch with his own character?

I completely disagree. Walt in season one the push over, no balls, wimp. Jesse was running meth, dodging cops, and living large. Come the end they have switched roles. Walt is the bad ass, carefree, wearing the pants sort of person, while Jesse is the one with the sense to to good not bad. He's affectionate with kids, cared about Jane and that other girl and her boy.

At mid point they were the same but now complete opposites from where they began

I completely disagree. Walt in season one the push over, no balls, wimp. Jesse was running meth, dodging cops, and living large. Come the end they have switched roles. Walt is the bad ass, carefree, wearing the pants sort of person, while Jesse is the one with the sense to to good not bad. He's affectionate with kids, cared about Jane and that other girl and her boy.

At mid point they were the same but now complete opposites from where they began

This.

Did you actually watch the first season? After their first cook Jesse betrays Walt and brings the drug dealers out to the desert. Walt takes care of business. Again, same scenario with Tuco. It's also revealed that Walt was the boss at the Grey Matter company before he got married.

Did you actually watch the first season? After their first cook Jesse betrays Walt and brings the drug dealers out to the desert. Walt takes care of business. Again, same scenario with Tuco. It's also revealed that Walt was the boss at the Grey Matter company before he got married.

I have more than once. Jesse didn't betray with the first run in with the drug dealers. He shows up at their house, tryin to sell Walt and his new cook. He started talking smack about the dudes cousin that got busted in the house he excaped when Walt saw him.

They both took him against his will so that he can cook for them.

Tuco was an avenue so that they had distributing. No betrayal there

I think you might want to rewatch that season again

I've only been catching bits and pieces of the show on youtube but I enjoy it.

I think a great irony would be for Walt to discover that he'd been misdiagnosed and never really had cancer. The whole thing was for nothing.

I've only been catching bits and pieces of the show on youtube but I enjoy it.

I think a great irony would be for Walt to discover that he'd been misdiagnosed and never really had cancer. The whole thing was for nothing.
Well they did extensive MRIs and at one point in season 2 or 3 he gets surgery and they remove a huge chunk of cancerous tissue. So, probably a little too late for them to write that particular ending.

Well they did extensive MRIs and at one point in season 2 or 3 he gets surgery and they remove a huge chunk of cancerous tissue. So, probably a little too late for them to write that particular ending.

Yep, it wouldn't be realistic whatsoever, and all for a cheap twist. This show is definitely above this sort of thing.

I only see 1 of 2 ways of playing out. Either he gets what's coming to him, or he follows a path of redemption. I would have called them equally likely a week ago, but the latter seems less likely now that he went back because of what he had heard being said on TV about him (ie, his concerns were purely out if vanity). And I don't think they spent the last few years making the audience loath him just to redeem himself at the very end... most people watching probably don't see him as in any way redeemable. The writers have spent a lot of time trying to get the audience to sympathize with Jesse though, so they might have Walt save him just to please the viewers. But personally I think the producers are above needing to make such easy emotional layups.

It is almost certain that he's going to be killed either way, though. He's going to die soon from the cancer anyways, so I'm having difficulty seeing how they could make a decent ending where he ends up either in jail or in hiding again only to die from the cancer (though that's not to say the cancer won't be responsible)... it would be rather anticlimactic. So I think the ONLY way they can go is to have him die in the midst of, or at the very end of, some major action.

There's a lot of ways they could **** it up, though. But IMO, as long as they don't end it like the Sopranos, I'll be happy. They'd have to screw up in epic proportions to make it end as anything less than one of (and most likely THE) greatest scripted TV series ever made.

OK, I missed that. I'll go with my second guess...

He finds a cure for his cancer, wins a Nobel prize, is pardoned by the President, becomes a trillionaire, and they all live happily ever after.

Probably hard to roll into one episode...

or, it goes the Shakespeare route and everyone dies. I could go either way.

they keep focusing on Lydia and her tea, so maybe the ricin is for her

but my prediction: 1 year later, Jesse is still on that chain, cooking for Todd's uncle, Walt shows up with the M60 to free him and the ricin is for Walt himself in case he survives the assault.

he doesn't and Walt and Jesse have one final scene

"Jesse will never find out about Jane, Brock or Mike"

YEAH! B*TCH! :p ;)

well I was totally wrong about everything

PS: to the showrunners & writers at Dexter.... hope you were paying attention and taking notes, because THAT'S HOW YOU END A FREAKING SHOW

Can't really complain about that ending at all. It wasn't quite as grand as I originally had imagined, but maybe it's better that way.

What a well done show from start to finish.

I loved how it was somber and methodical, it was perfect ending for Walt. Even the way he dies, once again protecting Jesse.

I thought it was great how Lydia dies, just seeing that single packet of Stevia sitting there. you knew right away she was done. It was nice that Jesse got to snap Todd's creepy little neck.

I was worried about how they were going to end the show - there seemed to be a long ways to go from the second-to-last last episode to some sort of final ending. Overall I liked it, but I was disappointed that they went with the stereotypical "anti-hero" ending (anti-hero recognizes their faults, makes what amends they can, etc). I would have liked to see Walt totally subsumed by heisenberg at the end, rather than getting the usual "I see the light"/redemption endings that plague movies/TV/books these days.

Bryan

I was worried about how they were going to end the show - there seemed to be a long ways to go from the second-to-last last episode to some sort of final ending. Overall I liked it, but I was disappointed that they went with the stereotypical "anti-hero" ending (anti-hero recognizes their faults, makes what amends they can, etc). I would have liked to see Walt totally subsumed by heisenberg at the end, rather than getting the usual "I see the light"/redemption endings that plague movies/TV/books these days.

Bryan

not that I totally agree with you, but I could see him going full-tilt Heisenberg at the end and I would have loved it just as much

in the end, though, he wasn't completely full-head-of-hair-with-a-cheesy-moustache meek chemistry teacher Walter White and he wasn't completely bald-with-a-goatee-and-a-pork-pie megalomaniac meth kingpin Heisenberg

he was dying, full-head-of-hair-and-full-beard "Lambert" (Skyler's & Marie's maiden name) and he wanted to finish what he started, which was to provide for his family.

but he also wanted to protect his criminal legacy.

he succeeded in doing both

and I think he was going to let Jess die with the rest, but saw what they had done to him and last minute decided to save him. Plus, I think by dying in the lab, he protected Jess from law enforcement looking for him. all that blue meth out on the street while Walt was at the cabin in NH was actually Heisenberg hiding out & cooking there for Uncle Jack

so, predictable ending, I think everyone could guess at least little bits of what was going to happen, but I think it fit the series as a whole

compare to the horrible series finales of Dexter & Lost and I'm quite satisfied with how it all turned out.

On a forum that values DIY, how sweet was the automatic gun build with ratcheting wrenches and a garage door motor. They never showed the AC/DC inverter he'd have had to use to power it, but ffs, it's Walter White. He probably rigged that thing up to run off of John Galt's motor.

Bad ass. Great ending. Not over the top, but very well done. I think Gilligan has more then a little Tarantino influence in his background.

On a forum that values DIY, how sweet was the automatic gun build with ratcheting wrenches and a garage door motor. They never showed the AC/DC inverter he'd have had to use to power it, but ffs, it's Walter White. He probably rigged that thing up to run off of John Galt's motor.

Bad ass. Great ending. Not over the top, but very well done. I think Gilligan has more then a little Tarantino influence in his background.

How did Walt get the gun? I know he got it at the diner, but with Saul and others gone, did they ever explain how he was able to get/buy it?

I also loved Skinny Pete and Badger as the best hit men in the southwest.

How did Walt get the gun? I know he got it at the diner, but with Saul and others gone, did they ever explain how he was able to get/buy it?

I also loved Skinny Pete and Badger as the best hit men in the southwest.

He bought it from the same guy he bought the revolver from in an earlier season, maybe season three, so he had the connection already.

Agreed, Skinny Pete and Badger are awesome.

I liked that they wrapped up most of the loose ends. I hate gaping holes in plot resolution and ambiguous endings a la The Sopranos, Lost, etc.. I'd thank Gilligan if I ever met him for at least wrapping everything up in a neat little package in the final episode.

Walter got his legacy and his children's finances in order.
Skyler finally got the truth out of Walt.
Jesse got his revenge and his freedom out from under both Walt and the neo-nazis.
Marie got the coordinates of Hank's remains (implied).

... and anyone who ever crossed Heisenberg.... got theirs.....

I liked that they wrapped up most of the loose ends. I hate gaping holes in plot resolution and ambiguous endings a la The Sopranos, Lost, etc.. I'd thank Gilligan if I ever met him for at least wrapping everything up in a neat little package in the final episode.

Walter got his legacy and his children's finances in order.
Skyler finally got the truth out of Walt.
Jesse got his revenge and his freedom out from under both Walt and the neo-nazis.
Marie got the coordinates of Hank's remains (implied).

... and anyone who ever crossed Heisenberg.... got theirs.....
All that and they still found time to get in a Groucho Marx reference.

didn't expect Hank to confront Walt like he did. thought he would play it cool, gather more evidence, give Walt some rope to hang himself

Walt's threat, "tread lightly." will Hank let Walt get away with it, to save his own career and his marriage?

if Hank doesn't, how does the public find out that Walter is Heisenberg? Lydia, oh, Lydia, oh, have you seen Lydia? Lydia, the tattooed lady

Badger and Skinny Pete need to follow Saul over to his spinoff, along with Lavell.

Talking Bad was pretty good, but needs the full hour like Talking Dead. but it also needs behind-the-scenes and sneak preview clips, not "Vince describes something about next week's show"

and why don't ALL TV series have aftershows like that? I like the discussions here (and other recap sites) about TV shows, like getting others' opinions on what happened and what will happen. hated Hardwick when he did Web Soup, but this kind of show is perfect for him

All that and they still found time to get in a Groucho Marx reference.

:ban:

Back