Breakfast'ish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidTNJasonF

Reaction score
I grabbed a few new specialty grains I have not previously used the other day at the LHBS. Mainly the De Bittered Black Malt from Dingemans and Coffee Malt from Franco-Belges.

I am thinking about using some of them for something like a Breakfast Stout or slightly amped up oatmeal stout with more coffee character.

12 lbs Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Carafa II (Weyermann) (415.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Chocolate (Dingemans) (340.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Coffee Malt (170.0 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz De-Bittered Black Malt (Dingemans) (550.0 SRM)

That is 75% MO, 12.5% Oats, and 12.5% dark roasted grain.

I am a little unsure of a couple things.

1) Is the Carafa II overkill with the coffee, chocolate, and black malts already?
2) Is the percentage of dark roasted grain a bit to high? I am thinking it may not be a problem with two being de bittered and the coffee only being 170L.
3) Will things be a muddled mess of flavors? I try not to get too complicated with my grain bills and 4 varieties of dark roasted may be too much.

Probably going to do a little bit of cold pressed coffee in it as well if that makes a difference.

It looks pretty good, not far off the grain bill of one I have made, especially as regards to the oats and black malt. What kinds of hop and straight chocolate/coffee additions are you looking at?

I need to see what hops I have in the freezer. Probably 20 to 30 ibu's of nugget our northern brewer.

No chocolate additions I think. There should be enough of that character off the grain.

For coffee I tend to make a few cups of cold pressed dark roast on my French press and toss it in at flame out.

Back