Bought local cider to turn hard, started fermenting by itself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

100% new to cider, fairly experienced in beer. This would obviously be considered an infection in beer-land, but since I don't know anything about cider I figured I'd ask.

We bought 5 gallons of local unpasteurized cider to ferment over the weekend, but all our LHBS which are normally open on Sunday all closed Sunday and Monday for labor day. So we figured we'd wait it out.

We noticed pressure in the gallon jugs and a gentle krausen. We vented the pressure and threw them in the fridge. We should have done that in the first place but, again, 100% new. I didn't even think that it'd have wild yeast in it sealed!

Will we still be OK to pitch after we warm it up? It's sitting at 4 degrees Celsius right now. Either way I'm going to let it ferment, wild or planned. I'd ideally want to do it our planned way because we have a specific recipe in mind.

Cheers

You should be fine. Being unpasteurized, some live yeast that was probably growing on the skin of the apples is going to work. Some people ONLY Ferment it naturally like that. I'm not sure how consistent that can be. Just pitch whatever yeast you have and continue the Ferment as you planned. Should taste wonderful.

You could also just let it continue fermenting with the wild yeast, that's how they made cider 200 years ago. If you want to pitch another yeast, just hit the must with campden (1 tab per gallon, crushed & dissolved in a little warm water), wait 12 hrs after sulfiting & pitch your yeast, no worries.
Regards, GF.

Reminds me of the time my old man found a few gallons of cider in my closet.....I'd vent the top and let it sit for a while.....I was an inspired brewer from an early age. All great advice/info above.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back