Bought a Food Saver... Now what do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fid

Reaction score
Looking for advice from people who use a Food Saver to store their hops.

I just won this off ebay for $17. Its the mini series and comes with whats pictured. The tube in the bag is for attaching canisters apparently. I know I've seen people saying that they use the canister adapter and put their hops in jars but I've honestly got no idea how these food savers work. Is there an adapter that seals mason jars or do I need to buy food saver jars?

Any input on what extras I should pick up for this thing would be appreciated.

Foodsaver.jpg

I'd get the rolls of bags that you can cut yourself. I use the 8" rolls. I put a full pound in there. When I need hops, I cut the top off, take how much I need, and reseal.

Your model is quite small, and might need thinner rolls. It'll still get the job done.

There are some places that sell cheap off-brand replacement bags. Do a search. I've seen them on this forum.

Thanks. Info like "might need thinner rolls" is what I'm looking for. I don't really wanna blow money on stuff that's either not going to work for me or just isn't practical.

I bought the ball jar attachment and it's working great. I fit 1lb of dry pellets into two pint balls jars. I take what I need and reseal them with no hassle. No bags and no waste. I got the wide mouth version.

I bought the ball jar attachment and it's working great. I fit 1lb of dry pellets into two pint balls jars. I take what I need and reseal them with no hassle. No bags and no waste. I got the wide mouth version.

+1 Ball jar attachment is the way to go!

i bought a box of pre cut bags on amazon for real cheap, cheaper than the rolls but i don't remember the details.

Ball jar attachments are like $10, there's a regular mouth and wide mouth. Make sure you get the proper one for your particular mason jars.

I can get 2oz leaf easy into a quart jar, up to about 4oz if I use something to really mash them in.

Ball jar attachments are like $10, there's a regular mouth and wide mouth. Make sure you get the proper one for your particular mason jars.

I can get 2oz leaf easy into a quart jar, up to about 4oz if I use something to really mash them in.

9oz of pellets in the pint size, 1lb into the quart.

Wait... shouldn't the quart hold exactly twice as much as the pint size?

I need to get one of those jars. Since they don't completely evacuate, I dismissed them as inferior to the bags (but of course cheaper).

LOL Yes you are right I should have said 18oz, except I have never tested that. I buy in 16oz sizes and only open a pack when needed. If the remainder won't fit in a pint jar I use a quart. I'm not sure where the "don't completely evacuate" argument comes from, I've seen it before but I do know that the jar is vacuum tight and needs pried open.

Awesome. Thanks everyone!

Any ideas of any stores that carry the accessories? I'm gonna wait til this thing shows up so I can make sure that it works before I buy parts for it and I don't really feel like waiting around to get a lid adapter shipped to me.

Also, does anyone who uses a vacuum sealer (be it with bags or jars) store their hops in the fridge? I'm sure general consensus will be to put them in the freezer BUT my extra freezer space kinda turned into a beer dispensing machine.... Thoughts/Experiences?

I know Amazon has them but, like I said, I don't really want to wait around for it to ship if I don't have to.

I know Amazon has them but, like I said, I don't really want to wait around for it to ship if I don't have to.

Then check Sears or Bed Bath & beyond. They are sold everywhere. I can't vouch for Wally World since i don't shop there.In the meantime you could buy the rolls

oh... and the marinator kicks ass as well, in a short period of time.

That thing really works huh? I'm sorta floored by all of the praise for Food Savers everywhere I've looked. I've been conditioned to believe that every infomercial product is just another Magic Bullet.

That thing really works huh? I'm sorta floored by all of the praise for Food Savers everywhere I've looked. I've been conditioned to believe that every infomercial product is just another Magic Bullet.

Have another beer.

I have been married for 12 yrs. and we are on our second Food Saver, We will never be without one. Brewing aside we use the thing almost daily.

Back