Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

Reaction score
"The Great White North" Red Lake, Ontario CANADA
Hi all, I am going to bottle in a day or two and am going from glass beer bottles 375ml to glass 500ml. When I mix in my priming sugar do I use the same amount as I would for the 375ml bottles or add an extra 1\4 cup. I am bottling a Coopers Lager, 23L.

Thanx

It's generally not a good idea to add priming sugar directly to the bottles. This increases the chance that you'll have different amounts of sugar in each bottle, leading to undercarbed bottles or even bottle bombs.

If you have a bottling bucket (and if not, go get one, they are cheap) you can just boil a cup of water with all your priming sugar. Mix well, boil to sanitize, and then pour it into the bucket. Rack your beer on top of that to mix, then bottle. If you don't, you can pour this mix directly into your fermentor and stir well to mix it, but this increases the risk of oxygenation which can result in off flavors.

Hope that helped.

Edited: How much priming sugar are you planning on using? 1/4 cup in any bottle seems like way too much to me.

I have some tips for bottling in this thread...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

It's much easier to bottle with a bucket and boiling your sugar in a bit of water...there is a risk in priming bottles individually...and few grains of sugar too mcuh and your bottles could go boom...Glash shards and wasted beer is not fun.

You also might benefit from taking a look at this chapter on bottling from How to brew.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming and Bottling

If you insist on NOT going the bottling bucket route, rather that adding sugar in the bottles, consider getting priming tabs like muntons...they are pre measured sugar tablets with the correct amount of sugar for each bottle.

No the size of the bottles has nothing to do with the amount of sugar you prime with.....

I prime a mixture of different sized bottles for the same batches...if I'm bottling with 22's or Pints I always fill at least one sixer of 12 ouncers for contests. No need for more sugar at all.

BUT the larger bottles will take a couple weeks longer to prime thant the 12 ouncers.

Back