Bottling with Champagne yeast. Didn't make a starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytowers

Reaction score
I just bottled a Hoppy Stout that had been on oak and vanilla for 5 weeks (secondary) and initially 3 weeks for fermentation (primary), so the beer was approximately 8 weeks old.

The last couple of week in the secondary it dropped to about 55-60.

I added a pack of dry champagne yeast to aid in carbonation given the lengthened time spent in secondary. I'm so used to just pitching dry yeast (s-04/5) without re-hydrating, I went ahead and did the same with the Champagne yeast. However, as I was pitching I noticed the size of the actual yeast was a bit larger, and at the end of bottling I wound up with a ton of yeast at the bottom of the bottling bucket and not in the bottles.

I don't think much of the yeast was actually transferred to the bottles, and I now know next time to re-hydrate, but my question is will my beer still carbonate? It's roughly 7% and like I said, it was 8 weeks old, 5 of those weeks in secondary.

Any rule of thumb when to add yeast and when to bottle without? After a certain amount of time spent aging? Above a certain percentage of alcohol?

Hope I don't wind up with 5 gallons of flat, Vanilla Oak Stout.

Personally I would have bottled it as is but you will definitely have carbonated beer by adding fresh champagne yeast. Definitely no need to rehydrate. When I use dry champagne yeast I find it easiest to just tap a few cells out of the package right into each bottle. It really does not take much.

Good idea. Any other thoughts on potential carbing issues from anyone else with similar experience?

Back