Bottling vs Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyBeast

Reaction score
My friends and I who all brew together have been having an debate for the past couple weeks on what we should do. Right now we bottle all of our beer. We want to keg because we think that it will be easier (we hate cleaning bottles) but we also like that we can take bottles everywhere we go. Some I'm looking for some good pros and cons about kegging, I understand that its going to be a bit of a price increase.

I can't think of ANY cons, aside from the initial cost.

You can still take beer wherever you go- either fill a couple of growlers or bottle from the keg. If you bottle from the keg, you have sediment-free bottles. I've even bottled for competition (and won) with bottles filled from the keg with a simply made bottle filler (see the thread "We No Need No Stinking Beergun"). Filling a growler or two takes 5 minutes or less.

Keep in mind you can still fill growlers or even individual bottles from your keg.

I decided to switch to kegs (just started, filled my first one yesterday) for quite a few reasons.

Less work is a big one... huge difference. Sterilize the keg, rack it over and pressurize.
Can use kegs for conditioning or even primaries if you want... hadn't realized this until I really started reading the forums here.
Can keep multiple brews chilled and available at all times... yeah you can do it with bottles too but with a keezer I'm not taking up room in the fridge.
No dealing with the sediment in each bottle. Sure it is part of homebrewing and I drink from a mug anyway so not a huge deal but pour and go without watching the bottom of the bottle will be nice.

It is more expensive up front, specially if you plan to get a keezer/kegerator going but well worth it I think.

Depends...do you also live together? Kegs end up at one person's house, or you up batches so that everyone gets a 5g keg to take home. Kegs can't really be split nicely among those who don't live together like a few cases can. Sure, you can take a growler home, but it'll go bad after a few days and you have to go back and refill (maybe that's not a negative!).

I mad the switch to kegging about 3 months ago and it has been great. I just added another keg to my system. The start up cost is a bit high with the set up and the fridge but after you keg once it's all worth the $$.

I keg beers that i drink fast and bottle ones that go slow or need conditioning time. Kegging is an incredible time saver.

I started Kegging my beer 2 years ago and never looked back. Bottling sucks. I only bottle Apfelwein. If I need to bring my beer out of the house, I use Growlers. I have two beers on tap at all times and 3 or 4 conditioning.

Back