Quantcast

Bottling Tips for the Homebrewer

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a wing capper. I have a bench capper, but it does not seem to crimp the cap as well as the wing capper.
I actually feel the bench capper crimps better than my wing capper.

FastFerment trays, available on Amazon. Get a few of these, and you'll never go back to a tree. Available in several different sizes, for different sized bottles.
The bottle tree works pretty well, but if it ever needs replacing, I'll give the trays a look. Why are they better?

Not sure of the brand name (Vino?) bottle washer also available on Amazon. The kind that you push the bottle down onto, it squirts sanitizer up into the bottle with spring pressure. Use about a pint of sanitizer to rinse several cases of bottles, then put them in the FastFerment trays to drip dry. Then put your caps in the bottom tray of the bottle washer to sanitize.
I have one of these on backorder already, but dunking the bottles in the bucket of Star San worked pretty well and didn't take that long, so I'm thinking about cancelling my order. Dunking sanitizes the whole bottle. I'm not really concerned about the exterior of the bottle, obviously, with the exception of the lip of the bottle, that would be under the cap. Does the Vinator get the lip pretty well with the sanitizing solution?

Dave Sarber

Unindicted Co-conspirator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I actually feel the bench capper crimps better than my wing capper.

The bottle tree works pretty well, but if it ever needs replacing, I'll give the trays a look. Why are they better?

I have one of these on backorder already, but dunking the bottles in the bucket of Star San worked pretty well and didn't take that long, so I'm thinking about cancelling my order. Dunking sanitizes the whole bottle. I'm not really concerned about the exterior of the bottle, obviously, with the exception of the lip of the bottle, that would be under the cap. Does the Vinator get the lip pretty well with the sanitizing solution?
The trays are much more stable. If you ever knock over a bottle tree, you'll understand.
Plus, nothing touches the lip or the inside of the bottle after sanitizing.
15907739699478113121524167297852.jpg

This one holds 12 of the 22oz or 750ml bottles. The other size holds 24 of the 12oz size.

Yes, the vinator does a very good job of the whole inside, and as it drains out, the lip too. I usually wash the outside of the bottles after bottling to remove any beer overruns.
Note: there is a tabletop model, and another model that goes on top of a bottle tree, I naturally use the tabletop model after I retired the bottle tree.
I used to dunk my bottles in a bucket of StarSan, but it takes longer, and uses a lot of StarSan.

Last edited:

CodeSection

Reaction score
....The bottle tree works pretty well, but if it ever needs replacing, I'll give the trays a look. Why are they better?

I bottle everything since I give my brew away to family, friends and clients. Therefore, I wanted something that handled bottling efficiently. The FastWashers and FastRacks clean and sanitizes the bottles a lot quicker than a five gallon bucket. I went the bucket routine only on two batches and then changed to the FastWashers and FastRacks.

For me, it is all about saving time and convenience......

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

Dave Sarber

Unindicted Co-conspirator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottle everything since I give my brew away to family, friends and clients. Therefore, I wanted something that handled bottling efficiently. The FastWashers and FastRacks clean and sanitizes the bottles a lot quicker than a five gallon bucket. I went the bucket routine only on two batches and then changed to the FastWashers and FastRacks.

For me, it is all about saving time and convenience......

View attachment 682671
View attachment 682673
Ya, I didn't mention that they were stackable. I wish though that when you buy 2, they included 2 trays. I don't stack them because I don't want the top draining down on the bottom bottles.

pc_trott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The vinator sits in a kind of bowl that you pour the StarSan into. I dip the first inch or two of the neck in StarSan in the bowl after I spray the inside of the bottle. It's quick and easy.

breewboy

Reaction score
Great Tips revvy!

The dip tube idea is great, works without it but it's a bit tricky. However for me i think putting the spigot as low as possible would do the trick.

Regarding the bottle filler, does it matter what kind of bottles i have(size) or can i fill the bottles to the top no matter the size?