Bottling temp ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
I don't use priming sugar calculators and it seems fine so far. However, I did a 1-gallon batch and now I have a question because that batch I COLD CRASHED because I could fit the 1-gallon jug in my fridge. I bottled the beer with corn sugar while the beer was cold. Does the temperature of the beer at BOTTLING OR PRIMING impact the amount of corn sugar I should use? Normally when I bottle, my beer is in the low/mid 60's, but this was low/mid 40's. Hoping I didn't screw up...

The amount of priming sugar to use is affected by the temperature the beer was at after CO2 production ceased. The temperature at this time will affect how much of the CO2 is held in solution.
In your case, with cold crashing, the priming calculator would use the temperature the beer was at, before cold crashing.
Length of time would also have an effect, but that would complicate the calculations to much.

Yes. More CO2 is held in solution at colder temps.

Assuming 2 volumes@ 65 degrees: .6oz corn sugar
Assuming 2 volumes@ 45 degrees: .4oz corn sugar

So, you may become overcarbed. Try one after a week or so, and see where you're at.

Edit: I completely disregarded the cold crashing aspect of it, so no, you should be fine. It won't absorb CO2 that's not there to begin with, so unless you crash under pressure, you have nothing to worry about.

I don't use priming sugar calculators and it seems fine so far. However, I did a 1-gallon batch and now I have a question because that batch I COLD CRASHED because I could fit the 1-gallon jug in my fridge. I bottled the beer with corn sugar while the beer was cold. Does the temperature of the beer at BOTTLING OR PRIMING impact the amount of corn sugar I should use? Normally when I bottle, my beer is in the low/mid 60's, but this was low/mid 40's. Hoping I didn't screw up...

No. I hate those calculators (and say it all the time, so I won't repeat all that stuff), but if you're going to use one, use the highest temperature the beer reached during or after fermentation.

The reasoning is this- the calculators try to guestimate the amount of residual Co2 still in solution, and that is temperature dependent. However, a good 'normal' guideline is to use .75-1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer and that works better than trying to guestimate via temperature and volumes of c02 for most bottled beers.

Yes. More CO2 is held in solution at colder temps.

Assuming 2 volumes@ 65 degrees: .6oz corn sugar
Assuming 2 volumes@ 45 degrees: .4oz corn sugar

So, you may become overcarbed. Try one after a week or so, and see where you're at.

No, because he didn't ferment at 45 degrees. Once the beer ferments out, and no new c02 is created, the colder temperature won't 'grow' co2. Once it dissipates out of the airlock during/after fermentation, it doesn't reappear when the beer is chilled.

No. I hate those calculators (and say it all the time, so I won't repeat all that stuff), but if you're going to use one, use the highest temperature the beer reached during or after fermentation.

The reasoning is this- the calculators try to guestimate the amount of residual Co2 still in solution, and that is temperature dependent. However, a good 'normal' guideline is to use .75-1 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer and that works better than trying to guestimate via temperature and volumes of c02 for most bottled beers.

I stand corrected...shes much smarter! :drunk:

A colder beer can hold more C02 at atmospheric pressure than warmer beer. If you fermented colder than normal I would say you may have overshot it, but since it seems like it was fermented normally and cold crashed after C02 production ended, you are probably in the same position as before. I'm no expert though, and doesn't hurt to put the bottles in a Rubbermaid or something just in case they end up overcarbed.

Okay - so the next time bottle a 1-gallon batch, if I cold crash, would you suggest rooming it BACK TO room temp prior to bottling?

Okay - so the next time bottle a 1-gallon batch, if I cold crash, would you suggest rooming it BACK TO room temp prior to bottling?

Not necessary. Use the temperature the beer was at before you cold crashed. You can still bottle it cold, that won't make a difference.

Not necessary. Use the temperature the beer was at before you cold crashed. You can still bottle it cold, that won't make a difference.

but if you don't let the bottles warm up they will never get carbonation. You have to give the yeast a warm solution to work in. Afer they are carbed up, you chill them again to drink.

Oh yeah, I'd bottle cold crashed beer and then store it at room temp for 3 weeks and then store cool. :) Understood. Man - I just cracked open my first bottle of my second batch of Caribou Slobber. My first batch was not all that good, but this one I made with harvested 1098 and it's great. It needs one more week to fully carb, but man - I love the feeling when you crack open the first one of a new batch and you're pleased and you know it's only going to get better!

Back