bottling, secondary fermenting, and spicing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walcotteric

Reaction score
Thinking of trying to add some spices (cinnamon and nutmeg mostly) to my cider. I'm having these thoughts after the cider has been fermenting for about a week, so I probably should have thought of this sooner and added them at the beginning. That said, is it too late to add some spices and either put it into a secondary for a bit, or right before I bottle? Will that do anything to the flavor, or is it too late for that?

Also, if it would still work to add some spices, how much should I add?

And, if I'm not backsweetening I don't need to pasteurize the bottles right?

I steeped 4 cinnamon sticks in 2 cups of water for about an hour for a 3 gallon batch added at secondary and it was tasty. As far as bottling goes, you better be real real real sure fermention is over with if you are not going to pastuerize. I would even consider a chemical or two just to be safe.

Stupid tablet.......as I was trying to say, check your local mega-mart as they carry coffee flavorings that have stabilizers in them since you want it still anyway :)

walcotteric said:
Thinking of trying to add some spices (cinnamon and nutmeg mostly) to my cider. I'm having these thoughts after the cider has been fermenting for about a week, so I probably should have thought of this sooner and added them at the beginning. That said, is it too late to add some spices and either put it into a secondary for a bit, or right before I bottle? Will that do anything to the flavor, or is it too late for that? Also, if it would still work to add some spices, how much should I add? And, if I'm not backsweetening I don't need to pasteurize the bottles right?

I usually do all of my spicing after primary fermentation is done, so your timing actually I think is perfect. I would leave it on the spices for a week or two probably at a minimum. That's my opinion only, and I usually do my spicing in a secondary vessel although you wouldn't have to.
The amount you use is dependent upon how strong you want each spice to come out in your cider. In my opinion five sticks of cinnamon to a 5 gallon batch is just right for me, some may want more some may want less. I've never used nutmeg so I couldn't comment on that. And just for your info if you ever use clove a very little bit goes a long way.
As for the bottles I always clean them very well and sanitize them with StarSan prior to bottling anything.

Cheers!

Dont forget a vanilla bean, its kind of the spice that ties everything together. WVMJ

Thanks for the advice on spicing!

What about also back-sweetening with some brown-sugar? Thoughts on flavor and amount to use?

Back