Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckelly999

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm bottling a German Hefeweizen tomorrow, I'm using 0.75 lb corn sugar for a 7-gallon batch to give 4.0 volumes of CO2, which is appropriate for the style.

My question is, should I dissolve the corn sugar directly into the beer, or should I add it by way of a slurry? Is there a rule of thumb on how much water to use in making the slurry?

Thanks for any and all responses.

CK

When I bottled I always dissolved the primer in very little boiling water - like a cup and a half - then cooled, poured into my bottling bucket and racked the beer on top. I think it's actually easier and less likely to mix in air then trying to get sugar to dissolve directly in the beer...

Cheers!

The sugar won't dissolve well until heated. You will see when you put it in the water. 6-8oz. Boil or microwave. I put the hot container(pan or whatever you put the sugar solution in) in a water bath to cool. Done

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Might be chiming in post-bottling day, but I agree with the above posters to boil with some water, cool, and mix in with beer at bottling time. Pour sugar mixture into bottling bucket, rack beer on top of that, and maybe some additional "gentle" stirring to ensure a good mix.

Quick question - was 7 gallons your actual bottling volume, or original batch size? Checking out the priming calculators (I ran it through N. Brewer's and tasty brew's), assuming beer temp of 70, 12 oz was about right for 4 vol c02 for 7 gal. But if actual bottling volume was lower after racking off trub, you wouldn't need so much sugar. Ie. If you ended up with 6 gal, I'd drop corn sugar to 10 oz; if you had only 5.5 gal at bottling, lower to 9.5 oz corn sugar). (Not to scare you, but I did have bottle bombs once for miscalculating in my inexperienced early brewing days - and yes, it was horrific. Glad nobody was hurt!). Not that a little over-shooting sugar will necessarily end up with bottle bombs, I had really screwed up, but it's now something I'm better with at measuring actual bottling volume, among other factors.

This might be late info at this point (or you hopefully already accounted for this). Hope it goes well and tastes great!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back