Bottling My First Big Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dlawrence529

Reaction score
I just got a recipe from my LHBS which is slightly hoppy version of an old ale. My plan is to brew it and let it sit on some oak cubes for 6 months to drink next fall/winter. The OG for this beer is 1.075-1.080 and FG is 1.019-1.024. I have never bottled a beer with this high of a final gravity. Is this a concern for making bottle bombs? Is there anything I should consider like buying heavier 22 oz bottles or pitching 2 rounds of yeast to drop the FG a little more?

I've done some RIS and other big beers in the past, and I've always bottled. Never had any bottle bombs or similar issues just by following some bottle conditioning guidelines I found online (i.e., how much priming sugar to use based on the beer and size of batch).

Others may have different opinions based on that FG and their experience with the style.

Back