Bottling Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrydan

Reaction score
Scenario: Brewed first Lager, Primary 4 days @50 degrees. Racked to Secondary and Lagered @35-38 degrees, didn't get around to trying to bottle it until now.... over 3 months later.
Questions: do I need to add fresh yeast? If so does it have to be the same strain? Can I revive some of the Yeast that are left in the secondary by making a makeshift starter and adding the sleepy yeast to it before bottling? Should I let the beer return to room temp before priming and bottling?

Thanks for any input.

I've wondered the same thing, so I'll eagerly wait for someone else to respond ;) I've kegged all of my lagers, but there's one I was considering bottling.

I rehydrate about 4 grams of Nottingham and add to the priming solution. Works great. Recommendation thanks to Yooper.

It would probably carb up on its own, But would take some time. Like mblanks2
said about 1/3 packet of re hydrated dry yeast will get thing going nicely for a 5 gallon batch. I like using safale us-05 . You just want something clean.

4 days @ 50 degrees, did it hit FG? Lager yeasts typically are much slower than that. I'd be worried about bottle bombs.

If it hit FG, you don't likely need to add yeast, but using cheap, dried yeast that attenuates less than the original yeast is fine, it adds no flavor. Lagers are pretty dry, so it's unlikely bottling yeast will dry out the beer more.

Latest posts

Back