Bottling issues!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDBREWER

Reaction score
First time brewer! When I bottled my beer I was told to put 1/2 tspn in each bottle of my priming sugar. So I mixed with 2 cups of water and added my 1/2 tspn! Now I'm being told just the priming sugar was supposed to be added, what can I do to fix this

Thanks

You can mix the full amount of priming sugar into your water then divide the volume by the number of bottles you'll fill. And put that in your bottles. Or what is easier it to use a bottling bucket mix the beer and the priming sugar water ( no vigorous Mixing, a gentle stir if at all) then fill your clean and sanitized bottles.

If you see my other post on your other thread, make sure after you boil your sugar solution for 3 minutes to put the whole covered pot into a bowl of ice to cool it off before you pour it into a sanitized measuring cup and then into your bottles.

You can mix the full amount of priming sugar into your water then divide the volume by the number of bottles you'll fill. And put that in your bottles. Or what is easier it to use a bottling bucket mix the beer and the priming sugar water ( no vigorous Mixing, a gentle stir if at all) then fill your clean and sanitized bottles.

So much easier to add the sugar to the bottling bucket as suggested above. Much easier than adding to each bottle and hoping you got the right amount in each.

Use a priming sugar calculator. Mrmalty.com etc.
to get the easiest distribution, boil 1cup water and dextrose (or what ever sugar you're using) then throw it in the bottling bucket. Then rack on top of it. Gently swirl to mix.

This will evenly distribute the priming sugar so ever bottle gets the same amount.

First time brewer! When I bottled my beer I was told to put 1/2 tspn in each bottle of my priming sugar. So I mixed with 2 cups of water and added my 1/2 tspn! Now I'm being told just the priming sugar was supposed to be added, what can I do to fix this

Thanks

If I use priming sugar, I boil it with 2 cups of water, let cool, then put in my bottling bucket before racking the wort in there.

My last bottled batch was done with Domino sugar "dots." One in each bottle. This is an alternative to the "fizz" drops that NB sells. I have found my last 2 batches with the fizz drops to be woefully under-carbonated.

I would stay away from adding sugar to each bottle as this would be the most inconsistent method. Either put the boiled sugar water (once cooled) in your bottling bucket, or put the fizz drops/sugar cubes in each bottle. That way, you're (mostly) assured the same amount of sugar is getting into each bottle.

Well I stopped at my local brew store today and between discussions with them and the forum I have decided to open all the beers and put 1/4 tspn of priming sugar in the 12oz bottles and 1/2 tspn in the 22 oz bottles then sanitize with spray bottle and recap! Will let u know how it turns out in 2 weeks thanks all for input

Latest posts

Back