Bottling half now and half later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
Due to some complications, I can only bottle half of my beer now and, in about 3 weeks, bottle the remaining half. I expect this to be OK but other than oxidation risks, is there anything I need to worry about?

Might lose little bit of carbonation?not enough to notice.
shoudn't matter.:)

Huh? Why would I lose carbonation?

All I'm doing is racking 1/2 of my beer to a bottling bucket, adding priming sugar, and bottling. Then a few weeks later, racking the other 1/2 of my beer to a bottling bucket, adding priming sugar, and bottling.

Huh? Why would I lose carbonation?

All I'm doing is racking 1/2 of my beer to a bottling bucket, adding priming sugar, and bottling. Then a few weeks later, racking the other 1/2 of my beer to a bottling bucket, adding priming sugar, and bottling.

Your beer has CO2 dissolved in it. As it sits, some of the CO2 will be released to the air which is why some people think that fermentation is still going on 3 weeks after pitching the yeast. It will be a small amount of CO2 that you will lose and that will easily be made up with the yeast activity on your priming sugar.

I have considered it, but not done it.
I worry about oxidation, but also infection. I ferment in buckets, so opening and the re-closing the bucket may allow something to get in and then grow.

Back