Bottling air contamination ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a stupid question or not.....I have a true brew kit and I am just wondering about bottling?? I will be going right from the Primary to the bottling bucket, this is where I am concerned, the kit did not come with a lid for the bottling bucket. I thought you did not want exposure to air?? Or is it OK at this point?? BTY I am waiting about three weeks in the primary before bottling(porter)...I could always use the lid from the primary or cover with foil or something I guess. Sorry if this is a rediculous question I just don't want to ruin first batch. Thanks

Since the beer won't be sitting in the bottling bucket too long, you don't need a lid. I cover mine just in case some dust or dog fur gets stirred up. To me, bottling is by far the hardest part of the process. Good luck!

I ususally spritz a cover with a spraybottle of whatever sanitizer I am using that day and put it loosely on top. Probably not needed, but probably couldn't hurt.

Back