bottling a fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorifiedbusdriver

Reaction score
I have brewed a raspberry wheat which I am about to bottle. Recipe:

7 lbs. US 2-Row
3 lbs. white wheat malt
1 oz. saaz 60 min
.5 oz. saaz 20 min
1 whole can (3 lbs.) Oregon raspberry puree added to secondary
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.009
1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
1 week tertiary

The secondary showed signs of fermenting the fruit for a few days but it is not showing any signs now. I was listening to a pod cast (forgot which one) that talked about changing the amount of priming sugar to use because of the added fruit fermenting in there also. I would assume I would add my normal 3/4 cup of corn sugar for priming because I have no signs of fermentation, but I just wanted to make sure this is ok and won't result in over carbonated beer. Thanks for your input.

Charlie

I haven't done a fruit beer, but from what I've read the priming sugar amount doesn't change. As long as the gravity isn't dropping anymore, my guess is all the fruit sugars have fermented out. Did you rack to a tertiary for a while? I read that's a good idea for beers such as yours.

I bottled my raspberry wheat with the normal amount of corn sugar (3/4 c.) and it was fine. My FG was 1.008, so I'd say you're good to go.

If it's done fermenting, you don't need to compensate for the fruit. If it isn't done fermenting, there's no good way to compensate appropriately for it.

That seems like really weird advice you heard on that podcast.

Back