Bottling a Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Physics202

Reaction score
I currently have a saison brett sitting in primary. I typically bottle about 2.5 - 3 weeks after the brew. I've heard that with sours, the bacteria often chews on the leftover sugars that the yeast didn't get for long periods of time. My concern is if this happens with the brett, it could cause some over carbonation. I realize brett is a yeast and not a bacteria, and my question is probably better stated:
Does brett continue to ferment sugars on a long term basis like sour bacterias do?

Yes, it typically does. Did you pitch just Brett, or a sacch strain as well as Brett? Either way, the hydrometer is your friend in this case.

Brett is a notoriously slow worker, she'll need months rather than weeks to finish.

After a few months fermenting, once you get identical gravity readings over a 3-4 weeks span and they are low enough, you maybe at FG.

Of course you can always keg a bit earlier, and let it finish there, blowing off excess CO2 every couple weeks.

Yes, it typically does. Did you pitch just Brett, or a sacch strain as well as Brett? Either way, the hydrometer is your friend in this case.

I pitched two yeasts simultaneously, each having a starter. Wyeast 3724, and Brett C. I'm assuming the Wyeast will do the quick work and the brett will continue working on everything else?

Brett is a notoriously slow worker, she'll need months rather than weeks to finish.

After a few months fermenting, once you get identical gravity readings over a 3-4 weeks span and they are low enough, you maybe at FG.

Of course you can always keg a bit earlier, and let it finish there, blowing off excess CO2 every couple weeks.

I was afraid of this. I am strictly a bottler. The purpose for me asking was to know when to bottle. I didn't want to bottle too early when the brett still has work to do and therefor create excessive amounts of CO2. I guess I'll be racking to a secondary.

Back