Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarBully

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find bottles like dogfish head and st berbardus for homebrews?

The best way: Buy them full of beer and save up the empties. :) Or, make friends with a local bartender at a place that serves a lot of micros. Ask if you can pick up some empties after a weekend.

The best way: Buy them full of beer and save up the empties. :) Or, make friends with a local bartender at a place that serves a lot of micros. Ask if you can pick up some empties after a weekend.

This. Soak them in Oxiclean and the labels float right off.

+1 to saving bottles and oxi clean. Most of my bottles are from a Christmas party I hosted a few years ago. It was a quick way to get several cases of bottles.

The Mr. Beer bottles aren't a bad option either. They are big so you don't need to fill as many.

Kegging is so much faster. I have the tap a draft system which is a good size for the amount I drink. It's 1.5 gallons per keg and takes up about the space of two six packs in the fridge. It's about $75 on Amazon.

I'm well stocked with bottles. When I first needed them, I went to my local beer distributor. I'd been doing business there for years, so I just explained that I needed bottles, they let me have returns for the 5c deposit.

I scored 5 24's from a local brewery that didn't have a bottle washer yet so they were recycling them all. I gave them all a quick once over for broken tops and debris and ran them through the dishwasher with no detergent for a better clean.

I have volunteered at a local brewery on bottling day. When the labeling machine fouls up they toss these brand new bottles. I have walked away with about 3 cases of bottles each time. The only thing I needed to do was soak or scrape the labels off and I had new clean bottles. The brewery recycles these so they really just to to trash if no one takes them.

Last edited:
Never had one or the other. What is special about them?

Dogfish Head has a unique tapered shape with it's logo on the side - definitely a cool bottle. Plus, their labels simply fall off in an Oxiclean soak - no scrubbing required!

My LHBS gave me 5 cases of delabled St Bernardus bottles that someone who started kegging gave to them. I didn't realize they were anything special.

Trust that I want to start kegging soon! Any recommendations on where to find a decent one for a good price?

The best way: Buy them full of beer and save up the empties. :)

Yep. Just another excuse to head to the local shop and put together a pick 6.

My beer-loving friends were also helpful in sourcing bottles. Just tell em you need brown bottles, no twist-offs. Rinsed would be nice too :ban:

Latest posts

Back