Bottled beer not carbonated

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bobovski

Reaction score
So, my latest batch has been bottle conditioning for a couple weeks and hasn't appreciably carbonated. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this. I sure hope so, because it really does taste fantastic, but could be sublime with a little co2 in it.

My first batch was overcarbonated, and I didn't do anything different this time. 3./4 cup of sugar suspended in 1pint of hot water, mixed in before bottling.

I'm going to bottle a stout tomorrow, but I have to admit this has takien some of the wind out of my sails. What can I do?

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
The only advice that I can offer is to give it another couple of weeks and try it then.

Reno Homebrewer

Reaction score
What was the temperature where the bottles were carbonating? I had some Irish Red do that, and all I had to do was move it to a little warmer area to wake up the yeast.

OP
B

bobovski

Reaction score
Referring to my notes, I see that fermentation visibly began about 20 hours after I pitched the yeast. Took about 6 days for the SG to stabilize, after which I racked to secondary. Left in secondary about a week and a half and then bottled.

The bottles are stored near my fermenting bucket, whose temperature reads anywhere between 64 and 70 degrees.

Gruntled

Reaction score
A couple of suggestions.
1. Wait for a few more weeks. Your beer will be better for it.
2. Give each bottle a swirl to mix up the yeast.

OP
B

bobovski

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna take the 'patience' advice and see how a bottle does next week. I think this batch will be called "Flat Amber".

mrk305

Beer Dude in the Sunset
Reaction score
Flat Amber.... thats a nice name. I think I went to school with her.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just had a stout that behaved the same way. I turned the bottles over once and also moved them to a warmer place. I just tested one after a week since I did that, and it was carbonated. I'm gonna let one case of them go for another couple of weeks.