Bottle Tree and Rinser Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmummert

Reaction score
I ended up buying a few odds and ends from someone who no longer needed them including a 90 bottle drying rack/ tree and a Bottle Rinser (not sure if it is the exact brand but similar to the Sulfiter) that sits nicely on top of the rack.
A few rookie questions.
- From what I was told I should wash the bottles in the rinser just before bottling and hang them on rack as I wash/rinse the others and then immediately start bottling. Is this correct?
- Rather than storing the bottle on my ping pong table as I am now would there be any wrong with storing bottles that have been quickly washed in the sink on the bottom of the rack?
-I don't have any directions any suggestions on what to fill the washer with?
_ What would be the best way to wash/clean the rack? Using a kitchen cleaner like fantastic or Clorox kitchen wipes?
Thanks in advance to all!
John

Hi! Welcome to HBT!

I have a few thoughts here. One is that the item you're calling a bottle rinser is what I call a vinator. You don't really just rinse the bottles with it, that's what you use to sanitize.

There is a difference between cleaning and sanitizing. Needless to say, all your equipment must be clean. That can be done with oxyclean, water, etc. Once the equipment is clean, then it is sanitized just before using. For example, I rinse my bottles well when I use them, and keep them clean. Then, on bottling day, I just sanitize by putting sanitizer in the vinator and squirting sanitizer in them, and allowing to drain on the bottle tree. I use a no-rinse sanitizer, so that there is no rinsing. I soak the caps in sanitizer too and use sanitizer on all the equipment (bucket, tubing, etc).

Don't use detergent, or kitchen wipes or anything that can leave a residue. Hot water works great. Remember, clean is just that- clean to your eye without dust and stuff. If the equipment is dirty, it can be soaked in oxyclean and water, or even a little bleach and water, but then rinsed very, very well. Then, it can be sanitized for use.

I have a little spray bottle that I put some sanitizer mix in, and I squirt big things, like the bottle tree and other things that can't easily be soaked in sanitizer.

Thanks for the info you are absolutely correct, what I incorrectly described as a rinser is a vinator.
Should I fill that with an iodine mixture?
Thanks again
John

Yes, fill it with your sanitizer and start pumping. It takes a while to get it primed but after that you can go to town and sanitize your bottles in just a few minutes. I usually give it 2 or 3 pumps per bottle.

Don't forget to give your bottle tree a spray with sanitizer before you put your bottles on it.

So the my beer is in the second stage of Fermentation and I am thinking and getting excited about bottling. So it is time to get the bottles off my ping pong table and get to work. First I am thinking about running them through the sanitizer setting of my dishwasher ( any concerns or suggestions??) But more importantly I need help with the correct ration of Iodine to water to be mixed in the vinator for bottle cleaning.
Thanks
John

I agree with the above Iodophor ratio of 3 tsp/5 gallons. I never make more than a gallon at a time as it doesn't keep very long. Actually, I seldom use Iodophor since I started using StarSan.

I like to use one of these for rinsing out bottles: Fermtech Single Blast Washer

I soak bottles overnight in a large plastic tub. I add a quart of ammonia and some Dawn dish detergent. A blue scrubbie easily removes any residual label glue. I give the bottles a quick dunk in a bucket of hot plain water then rinse the insides with the bottle blaster. I wash all the bottles this way then use the vinator thingy to spray StarSan inside before placing them on the bottle tree to drain. You can then use them to bottle right away or within a few days without problems.

I wash all the bottles this way then use the vinator thingy to spray StarSan inside before placing them on the bottle tree to drain. You can then use them to bottle right away or within a few days without problems.

To sanitize my bottles, I could just use my spray bottle filled with starsan and squirt it in the bottle, couldn't I? Then let it drain on the sanitized rack in my dishwasher.

Back