Bottle storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis2008

Reaction score
Ok got my beer bottled today now i have 50 bottles of beer sitting on my kitchen counter. My wife asks "what are u gonna do with all this beer" to which i say "get drunk!" But really is there some kind of case that i can store these bottles in until thet are ready? Preferably waterproof with lid or is this asking too much

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Home Depot or Lowes etc. RubberMaid or Sterilite make many different sized tote boxes.

Milk crates work well also.

I have shelves where I put mine. The shelves are draped with old towels to keep the light away.

I use 6 pack holders and put my bottles in a bedroom closet below clothes on hangers. Trying to grab 12 bottle boxes every time I go to my LHBS so I can store and stack empty bottles.

I've found cardboard beer cases work well. I mean, I wouldn't mail them or stack 'em 10 high, but they're just the right size to fit the bottles snugly, especially if you throw four sixpack holders in, and they hold up well enough on flat, level surfaces, not moved around too often, and not stacked more than two high.

I'm guessing you're talking 12-ouncers, since you've got 50 of them, but wine boxes work well for bombers/750's.

Your local beer/liquor store should have a ton of 'em sitting around, and be happy to give you a couple the next time you stop in for "product research."

Your local beer/liquor store should have a ton of 'em sitting around, and be happy to give you a couple the next time you stop in for "product research."

This

Or buy a case so you have something to drink while you wait, then use the box. I bought a case as Costco and drank them for the bottles and the case to hold them.

This

Or buy a case so you have something to drink while you wait, then use the box. I bought a case as Costco and drank them for the bottles and the case to hold them.
That's my favorite way, but sometimes just can't drink enough good beer fast enough for the required empty bottles/cases ;) Brewed a lot of mead last year, have about 16 gallons to bottle after having recently bottled about 10 gallons....may have to pay the piper and actually break down and buy a few cases of empties....no biggie, locally available....

In the past I have used the boxes apples are shipped to stores in. They are heavy duty and have a slide on cover. Made dividers to hold the bottles from lighter weight cardboard boxes.
I now prefer Northern Brewers 12" x 12" x 12" shipping boxes. These boxes don't hold as many bottles, so they are easier for me to carry as I age.
These boxes also have the height for liters and pint bottles.

I started using those boxes from Midwest, etc my grains & other supplies get shipped in. They're big enough to hold 25/26-12oz bottles. It also gives me the opportunity to print two large labels per page of label paper to label them for my little "brewery". Part of the fun.

Got a better label saved I should've used, but it's fun anyway & hold 1 or 2 more than a case & takes up half the area. They're not much taller than a regular longneck 12oz. I also like using Leinenkugel's 12 pack boxes, as they have separators. 2-3 layer tabbed tops as well as sturdy cardboard.

I also have case boxes from Bud, Leinenkugel's, etc. The point being you need to keep the light off of them. Not to mention boxes sturdy enough to hold the weight of the number of bottles in them. This being done, you can now put them anywhere the temps are right for carbing or merely storing without worry of light.

Been buying 1 of these each time im at home depot. Theyre on sale for $7 at the one near me, which is cheaper than I could buy the wood to make one myself. They hold arouund 30 bottles, but if you have bombers they will be taller than the crate.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Housewor...-in-x-9-5-in-Large-Wood-Crate-94565/203153338

40deafde-febf-43fd-9661-12c4deed3796_400.jpg

I built cases for my full bottles which I store in a dark 70 degree Fahrenheit closet. The empties are stored in a couple of old file cabints in the garage which is where I brew.

2015-01-21 08.58.43.jpg

Latest posts

Back