Bottle storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
With the first batch of beer that I am bottling this weekend, I've decided that my kitchen pantry is the best place to store the bottles while they condition(should stay near 68-70 degrees). My only concern is if a bottle bursts that it will make a mess(this is our food pantry).

I plan to store the bottles in my old Sam Adams 12 pack boxes but was wondering if I should do anything further to protect the pantry such as putting the cases in plastic totes or something similar..

Just curious if you guys have any suggestions for bottle storage?

I have never had a bottle burst.....so I don't worry about bagging my bottled beer...and I keep it in my den which is carpeted to condition.

Maybe you could buy a tray....with like a 1/2 - 1 inch lip and set the 12 packs on top of that....it would at least contain in the tray if you get a bottle burst...or just wrap in trash bags like you suggest.

mgortel said:
I have never had a bottle burst.....so I don't worry about bagging my bottled beer...and I keep it in my den which is carpeted to condition.

Maybe you could buy a tray....with like a 1/2 - 1 inch lip and set the 12 packs on top of that....it would at least contain in the tray if you get a bottle burst...or just wrap in trash bags like you suggest.

Funny you should mention that.. I do have the tray lids left over from a plastic tote that fits 4 12 pack boxes.. It would definitely keep anything from spilling everywhere.

With the first batch of beer that I am bottling this weekend, I've decided that my kitchen pantry is the best place to store the bottles while they condition(should stay near 68-70 degrees). My only concern is if a bottle bursts that it will make a mess(this is our food pantry).

I plan to store the bottles in my old Sam Adams 12 pack boxes but was wondering if I should do anything further to protect the pantry such as putting the cases in plastic totes or something similar..

Just curious if you guys have any suggestions for bottle storage?

If one bottle blows there is the possibility of "Chainfire" explosions. Neighboring bottles, even if within normal carbonation levels, can be damaged and on and on.

Plastic totes that won't leak as well as a good covering (NOT AIRTIGHT) such as a heavy blanet would help to protect your pantry.

bosco

I'm thinking if I throw a piece of duct tape across each box to keep them from opening, and putting them on a tray. This might be enough? The box would contain the possible explosion and the tray would catch the liquid that comes out of the box.

I might be over thinking this, but don't want to have to explain to the wife why her cinnamon bagels are covered in a sticky goo if some thing were to happen :)

I wrapped the boxes in plastic trash bags and stashed them in my closet. I don't want my shirts/pants that are on hangers to be covered in beer. Hopefully this is enough.

Back