Bottle Cultured Unibroue Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanMyers

Reaction score
I read on here that unibroue do not use a separate bottling strain although they apparently use at least two different strains the for fermentation of different beers. Anyway, I've successfully cultured the blanche de chambly strain and brewed a great clone.

I thought I would do the same with fin du monde. So I brewed up a solid clone recipe and fermented it with a starter built up from the dregs of several bottles. I fermented it hot to increase ester and phenol production but alas they most certainly are using a bottling strain. I feel i have a belgian pilsner or something? super clean yeast....i dunno maybe a champagne yeast...

Not sure if they changed their practices? but in the future i'll be purchasing the strain from Wyeast.

I completely ruined a beer batch trying to get their strain and use it. They filter and bottle with champagne yeast. Unless you find like a 5 year old La Fin du Monde, the yeast you harvest will not be capable of fermenting beer, especially a big belgian

Back