Bottle Conditioning...Can you see it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Just a quick question...
Can you actually see the bottle fermentation happening when you bottle beer?
Just interested in knowing whether or not it's a reaction that you can actually see.
Oh...one other thing...
How long should it take to bottle a 5 gal batch?

I don't think you can see the conditioning process as it seems ot happen slowly compared to the primary fermentation. Also, the bottles are typicaly brown so it is difficult to see into them anyhow.

Time to bottle depends on your set up and how quickly you tend to move. I bottle a 5 gallon batch in 2 hours or so including clean-up. If this is your first time allow for about 3 or 4 hours just in case you have problems.

Usually not, but rarely you'll see a small Krausen during bottle conditioning. You might be able to see a small yeast buildup, though that could just be settling. Most often you won't notice anything at all.

I don't think you can see the conditioning process as it seems ot happen slowly compared to the primary fermentation. Also, the bottles are typicaly brown so it is difficult to see into them anyhow.

Time to bottle depends on your set up and how quickly you tend to move. I bottle a 5 gallon batch in 2 hours or so including clean-up. If this is your first time allow for about 3 or 4 hours just in case you have problems.

Thanks for the input. I was just curious if I'd be able to see the carbonation occurring.

So...if it took me approx. 30-45 mins to bottle, can we assume I probably got too much oxygen in the bottles and may have ruined my beer?[emoji51]

Even small splashes or stirs will not matter much if you are not storeing it for 3 months or more. If it it drank while fresh it will taste fine unless you are a beer judge or have great taste buds!

It will be fine as long as you did not splash the beer or stir it while racking and priming it.

So there is some margin for error.
I'm finding that out...
When reading about brewing you hear about how things have to be "just so". But as I go through it and start to experience I realize there are so many factors that can contribute to good or bad beer.
There really is no right way.

For what it's worth, I use a clear 12 ounce diet Coke bottle to gauge carbonation. When the bottle gets hard, your beer is carbonated. And since it's clear, you can also see the sediment build up in the bottom.

Back