Bottle Conditioning a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam095

Reaction score
Hi, long time brewer but just dove into Lagers headfirst recently. I am big on brewing session strength beers, and repitching the yeast cake into high gravity beers. I have already utilized this with Lager yeast as well, and I'm left with a Baltic Porter and a Dopplebock that I'd like to bottle condition. My question is, do I use Lager yeast and bottle condition in the 50's?
Looking for experienced answers, not shots from the hip please.

Yes, a lager yeast added at time of bottling then stored for 7-10 days at 50-60*, then several weeks at 30-40* should work just fine.

I've used 34/70 and CBC-1 at the above temps for bottle conditioning high gravity lagers with good success. I just drank a 2yr old Baltic Porter last weekend that was bottle conditioned w/ 34/70 and it was great.

Yes, a lager yeast added at time of bottling then stored for 7-10 days at 50-60*, then several weeks at 30-40* should work just fine.

I've used 34/70 and CBC-1 at the above temps for bottle conditioning high gravity lagers with good success.

I'd give it a little more than 7-10 days, and I'd probably go a little closer to the 60F end of the spectrum.

Adding extra yeast at bottling time can really help, but I would just want to give the yeast enough time to finish their work. You brewed a doppelbock anyway, that style is typically better with some months on it, so why rush it.

With lager yeasts, time and patience are your best friends. I can't disagree with Kent88. Don't rush it. I've got some two and three year old bottle conditioned Doppels and Baltic porters that get better with age. My original response was geared towards the quickest turnaround for your beer.

Thanks guys! I am a believer in patience, although it is tough sometimes...

Back