Bottle carbing with US05??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
Alright so I've been talking with a friend about bottle carbing with fresh yeast. I know it works, but he didn't give me full instructions and I can't search well enough on my phone.

I basically just need to know the process and timing off things. Do I add sugar AND yeast or just the new yeast? How long after adding the yeast should I wait to actually start bottling?

ahow long to wait once i add the new yeast to the carboy. this may not be the best way but ive been told its consistant an honestly...ihow long to wait post

I've never bottle carbed with fresh yeast but, if I did, I would add the fresh yeast AND the priming sugar to the bottling bucket and bottle as usual. You definitely need priming sugar regardless of whether you use fresh yeast or not.

Unless there is reason to believe your original yeast is dead, then you shouldn't need to add additional yeast at bottling, only sugar. Do you know why your friend was telling you to add the yeast?

501irishred said:
Unless there is reason to believe your original yeast is dead, then you shouldn't need to add additional yeast at bottling, only sugar. Do you know why your friend was telling you to add the yeast?

It's been lathering for a month solid. I'm pretty sure most everything has dropped and would be of no use now.

It certainly doesn't hurt to add some extra yeast if you've got it. I rehydrate about 1.5g and add it to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar, give it a good stir and then bottle.

It may not be absolutely necessary but I find that my bottles carb up much more consistently and quicker, especially after cold crashing. Yeast is cheap.

It's been lathering for a month solid. I'm pretty sure most everything has dropped and would be of no use now.

It'll be fine without extra yeast. You'd be surprised how much is still there if you looked at it under a microscope. You would need to add suagr as well as yeats unless the beer is not fermented out. During bottle priming, the only thing that should be fermenting is the sugar you add.

Back