Bottle Carbing Question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmtonkin

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a rather basic question. I have a beer ready to bottle, but I'd really like to have it for next weekend. Is it possible, in order to have it carbed up by then, to use much more than necessary priming sugar and then pasteurize them?

I know, it's far from ideal, but I'd only do it for half the batch so I'd at least have some ready!

-Joshua

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So not use more sugar but keep the temps of the bottles higher than 70oF

If you can keep the bottles around 80 they should be ready in a week, this assumes an average gravity beer of course and that the beer did not go through a long cold phase like a lager:)

Sent from the Commune

At same rate despite the dose. You aren't gonna speed it up much by using the dosage. Just gonna pin your ears back to a required pasteurization which in my opinion isn't a fun process, and it's quite nerve racking to me personally. I say don't do it. Also once you overcarbonate you will need to be flexible and prepared to pasteurized on the fly not to mention cracking open 2 -3 beers to check on the level of carbonation. What if it carbs to much while you are at work, etc. Now you could potentially waste a batch. Not fun when you've got overcharged beer which in my opinion would rival an unwanted off flavor.

Yeah, I'd be doubtful that more sugar would make them carb faster...

When I started being I often stick one or two bottles in the fridge for 24 hours one week in, to have an idea of how they were going, and for the most part they were pretty well carbed at that point. More fridge time was usually need more than anything... And occasionally they tasted like I was biting into a green apple, hah.

As was already mentioned, keep them above 75F and they will probably be okay, though more time would help.

keg it, cool it, 30 psi for a couple days, pour it and have fun!

Yeah, right on dude, really glad you could help a guy that bottles:ban:

Like I said before, get the bottles up to 80 and they should get there for ya, OP

Sent from the Commune

trying to help a guy that bottle telling him if he want beer faster the easy solution is kegging even with just 1 keg picnic tap and way to pressurise it... when in a hurry you have to improvise, not sure why you're calling me for....

trying to help a guy that bottle telling him if he want beer faster the easy solution is kegging even with just 1 keg picnic tap and way to pressurise it... when in a hurry you have to improvise, not sure why you're calling me for....

Simply for the reason that he's most likely not going to just jump out and go drop cash on a keg set up, he's looking for a practical way to get his beer ready to go with the means he currently has available:)

Improvising is not going out and dropping cash on a keg, tap and co2 tank;)

Sent from the Commune

My first batch ever was a Brewers Best Summer Ale. After being in the bottle for a week it was very drinkable. I simply followed the instructions. The next weekend, there was a slight improvement. I wouldn't call it a huge difference though.

Myself and my friends liked it so much, we've brewed something new every week since we opened that first one 3 1/2 weeks ago.

That's my lengthy way of saying that you might be ready by next weekend regardless.

I cracked open a bottle of my last batch after 6 days with my regular dosage of sugar... Carb was fine not ideal but still delicious.... I say carb as normal keep the bottles at room Temps 74ish and have at it... Also I have read that if you swirl the bottles every day or so it "can" speed the carb process, I haven't done this myself but it may be something to search for

If a priming solution is used,swirling won't help it go any faster. Higher room temps can help though. This is dependent on the type of beer as to how fast it'll carb up. It's just something you can't cheat much on.

Back