Bottle carb. without priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesperP

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere about a technique of carbonation where you would bottle the beer just before the primary fermentation was done (a couple of points above FG)

Has anyone experimented with this?

Theoretically, it's possible.

In reality, I think that you're simply inviting problems. Big ones that go boom. Unclear brew with more trub in the bottom of the bottle than if you batch prime.

And what do you gain?

I've had it happen accidentally. I had a Scotch Ale that had been in primary for two months, so I was sure it was done--especially since I hit my numbers. I transferred it into a corney keg to age. After about two months in the keg I discovered it had carbonated quite nicely.

I agree with BigFloyd that if you are going to do this with bottles you are setting yourself up for bottle bombs. If you want to do it, then use a keg because it can take the pressure.

Not being able to control the exact co2 volumes for the beer style would be the big downside. Potential bottle bombs as well

I've made sparkiling wines by letting it ferment 85-90% or so,then bottling. Over the 1 year conditioning phase,they came out like Asti. but beer,I wouldn't. the bottles aren't as thick to withstand the pressure.

Not that dangerous...with sparkling wine bottles. It was a zen thing with me. I just knew when to bottle it. It's not that critical as long as it's 80-90% fermented out. So far as wine was concerned.

Thanks for all the response, guys...
I like experimenting and the thing that attracts me most about idea is having the beer ready carbonated on a bottle after a couple of weeks, without having to wait for the priming sugar to carbonate. My thought is that you'd end up with a fresher beer... Might also end up with a mess that has not been cleared up at all.

Latest posts

Back