Bottle Bombs. They do happen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
I was getting rid of a batch of beer that fermented out with my AC off this summer(probably barely sub 100 temps) and was popping the tops off and pouring out, rinsing the bottles and placing them back in the case, when the 5th to last one just decides to shatter in my hand. It scared the bejesus out of me! little scraps of glass went everywhere, a few acted as shrapnel and stuck into my arm, but nothing too bad luckily. Just a little blood although one was close to the big vein in my anti elbow. I tried to take pictures when the glass was still in my arm to post on here as a warning for you guys, but my G1 camera froze and I decided to wash myself up while it was rebooting. I am not sure what caused the bomb since it was 1 bottle out of 50, so Idk what I really learned from this other then what could happen.

Did the bottles condition at those really high temps? It's possible that the yeast went crazy and put out more CO2 into the bottles. I'm guessing the bottle that shattered had a flaw in the glass somewhere.

I think it's safe to say that being careful with any bottles conditioned that high is a good idea.

beer was not bottled till I was back for the school year. So the temperatures were sub 80 ever since they got in bottles.

It was in the fermenter for about 4 months and I checked the FG. It was low. I assume it was a defect in the bottle or some sort of 1 bottle infection.

It was in the fermenter for about 4 months and I checked the FG. It was low. I assume it was a defect in the bottle or some sort of 1 bottle infection.

Yup, I think it's safe to say this was just a fluke. Unfortunate fluke, but a fluke nonetheless. :)

Yeah your situation is completely different from mine. I had probably three bottles from that batch go before I had a chance to throw the remaining in the fridge. After a few days in the fridge, a roughly 1/4" yeast cake formed in the bottom of the bottles. It's pathetic and funny, both at once.

Back