Bottle at above expected FG? Or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gds

Reaction score
Hope for a little advice here. First AG brew remains slightly above expected FG after 19 days. Very slight fermentation still taking place (racked to secondary), but I am about to go away for 10 days. Unsure if I should bottle now, or wait until return.

Do I:
a) Bottle it tomorrow (day 21)?
b) Leave it in the secondary, and then bottle on my return (which will be day 31)?

Details:
Hophead-style Pale Ale, using Nottingham yeast
OG was 1040 (in line with recipe)
Pitched from starter at (and fermented at) 17-18C

Aiming for FG 1012.
7 days = 1018. Racked to Secondary (airlocked fermenter).
10 days = 1017
17 days = 1015
18 days = 1015
19 days = 1014

[I know people debate racking, but I went for it anyway as it was so cloudy. Maybe I racked too early. And, as it happens, it's still cloudy. Any suggestions on this also appreciated.]

Thanks

Racking to a secondary vessel can only complicate a fermentation. Two weeks in the primary would have brought this low OG beer to FG. Three weeks in the primary would have cleared the beer unless the haze is due to an excess of ingredients which cause haze.
Estimated FG is just that. Each fermentation has variables which will affect
FG. The SG you have now is close to what a finished beer of this style might be.
I would leave it in the secondary for the possibility the AG may drop another point or two. I'm conservative when it comes to possible over carbonation from an unfinished fermentation.

If it's still dropping in gravity while in the secondary I'd wait on it. Are you dry hopping this Pale ale? If so, I'd wait until the OG is stable and then add your dry hops. You typically want them to sit for about 7-10 days or so anyway so by the time you get back you'll be ready to bottle. Plus it'll give the beer time to condition a little more. No sense in rushing it.

The FG stated is pretty good for style, you don't mention your mash temp so if you mashed a bit higher it could very well be done. If the gravity hasn't moved in several days it's most likely done. That being said there is no harm in leaving it until you return. Raise the temp and rouse the yeast and head out of town. Check the gravity when you return and package it.

Thanks for the notes and advice.

No plans to dry hop.

Mashed at 69-67c for 90 (lost nearly 2c over time of mash). Does this sound right? Grainbill was 90% Maris Otter; 7.5% Caramalt; 2.5% Torrefied Wheat.

Will leave in secondary and plan to bottle on return (any contrary advice, holler!)

Thanks for the help

Back