Boston Area Yeast Slanting Clinic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazyirishman34

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking about running a clinic to teach folks how to slant yeast and isolate yeast strains. It would be everything from making the slants to streaking plates to isolating single cell colonies. If I can find 10 or so people interested I would be happy to do the class.

If you are interested send me a PM

Wish I were closer. I am in the process of collecting the things I need to start slanting.

Looking good. Also there is going to be a few things that are needed for each person to have for the class. I was thinking that I could go to the lab supply store and buy the stuff there. It would be tubes, agar agar, DME, inoculation loops, alcohol lamp, test tube rack and Petri dishes. Folks would also need a presure cooker when they got home to sterilize the plates and tubes.

Would it be better if we brought some of our own stuff (ie. DME)?

I have about 50# of old DME that isn't good for brewing but just fine for slants and starters. So I can bring a few pounds of if with out really cutting into my stash.

The rest of the stuff is cheaper if you buy say a box of loops and a case of lamps. You can get the lamps for like $6 or less in bulk.

I'd be interested in this as well

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Home Brew mobile app

I have about 50# of old DME that isn't good for brewing but just fine for slants and starters. So I can bring a few pounds of if with out really cutting into my stash.

The rest of the stuff is cheaper if you buy say a box of loops and a case of lamps. You can get the lamps for like $6 or less in bulk.

Hmmm. My sister works for a pharmaceutical company. I wonder if she has access to these things?

Most of this is stuff that HS labs use. So I am not sure that a modern pharma company would use them. They might have loops but most likley they would be disposable one use ones.

I work near Hmart, and picked up 12 Oz of Agar. Probably enough for everyone. Also can bring a pressure cooker once it arrives Wednesday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Cool I talked to Brian about using the class room at the Craft Beer Cellars in Newton Center. He is on board with it. I was thinking of doing it on a Weds or Thurs evening. How does that work for everyone? I was thinking of the second or third week of March.

I can't see that pushing it a week would make a difference.

So how does the 19th of March work for everyone? I need at least 10 people to make it worth while. Also I will compile a list of equipment that you will need to bring. I have a ton of the culture vials so if you need those I have them for $1 each. Also I will provide the DME for the slants.

OK everyone who is interested in the yeast class I have a time date and location. It is going to be at the Craft Beer Cellars in Newton Center, MA on Tuesday March 18th from 6:30p to 8p. If you want to attend send me a PM. I am going to put together a list of stuff that is needed and put an Eventbrite ticket up that covers the cost for the materials. If you have all of the stuff I will put up a ticket to cover the cost of the space.

You can get to it on the T or there is a parking lot directly behind it that after 6p is free.

Unfortunately, getting to newton on a Tuesday from NH is too much of a PITA for me. I will just have Lextasy take good notes for me

Getting the classroom on a weekend day would be impossible. They would need too much money to use the room

On a differnt note I am thinking that the eventbrite ticket will be up soon. I am just going to make a list of equipment that you are going to need and the ticket will cover the consumables and room fee.

Ok so the ticket is up. I am not going to have you bring the equipment individually but I will do a hands on for everyone with my equipment so that everyone can get a feel for things. Also you will go home with 5 slants. I will also have more vials, agar and DME if you want to buy extra for use at home.

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/yeast-slanting-clinic-tickets-7928635763

Signed up as well, thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to learning some more about harvesting and propagating yeast.

nhwrecker

I'm planning on signing up as well. I'm leaving the screen open while I go to work so I remember to do it when I get home. :)
THis sounds really fun and interesting.
BTW, reading the blurbs from CBCNewton, are you the mastermind behind Down the Road Brewing as well? Just curious.

Back