Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #2 - Old Package

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popquizkid

Reaction score
So i bought a package of Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #2 back in June (mfg date : 5/25/2016) with the intention of making a Brett IPA with it. I put the package in the fridge but life got in the way and never got around to brewing with it.

So now I have a 6+ old package of it and trying to figure out what to do with it. Could I somewhat reliably grow this thing up to the amount of cells required for all Brett primary? If so what is the best way to do this?

Should I use it for brett secondary in another type of other beer? If so anyone have ideas / thoughts?

Should I toss it?

It's probably still got viable cells in it. Put it on a stir plate for a week and - assuming it ferments out - pitch that in primary. I've pitched 6 month old Brett in secondary and worked like a charm

You can build it up. Contact Jeff at Bootleg and ask for his advice. He's super nice and always eager to help. Cheers!

Fairy certain you are fine as I just used a package with the exact same date to make a pretty darn good Brett IPA (if I may say so myself).

I'd do one week on a stir plate on its lowest setting.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to step it up since it was so old. 4 days into first step (400 ml) and damn does it smell fruity. Probably will keep some of the second starter so I can try it in secondary on another beer to see how it works in that context.

Fairy certain you are fine as I just used a package with the exact same date to make a pretty darn good Brett IPA (if I may say so myself).

I'd do one week on a stir plate on its lowest setting.

How long did it take to ferment? Two weeks at 68 F and mine is just down to 1.030 from 1.058. Gonna ramp the temp a bit to make sure it hopefully finishes out in the next week.

Back